Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Workstation

I have a couple of HP Z440 and want to purchase a CPU that has most core/threads possible for this HP Z440 (using this PC for home/Gaming). 

HP documentation states you can use Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 processor family.
Am I able use the proposed CPU a this processor?

Proposed CPU: Xeon E5-2698 v3

Release date:2014
Microarchitecture:Haswell
Core Name:Haswell-EP
Manufacturing Process:0.022 micron
Socket Type:Socket 2011-3
The Number of Cores:16
The Number of Threads:32
Multiprocessing:Supported
Frequency:2.3 GHz
Maximum Turbo Frequency:3.6 GHz
Bus speed:4.8 GHz
L1 Cache:512 KB (code)
512 KB (data)
L2 Cache:4 MB
L3 Cache:40 MB
Thermal Design Power:135 Watt

My PC Detail I have two workstations:

My HP Z440s  Details:

Product: M3P20EC

Serials: [2UA5421QCF and 2UA5421QCG]

If the proposed CPU will not work what CPU from the Xeon E5-2600v3 processors family will work meeting my goal of most possible cores/threads?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You, instead, want to use a v4 processor. Search for Z440 quickspecs, and find the latest you can. Let me know what you found and I'll see if I have an even later one. The v3 and v4 listed there all can work in any Z440. The v4 have faster processors that can run faster memory. Also, look up some of my posts here on the Z Turbo Drive Dual Pro. Turns out you have a speed demon in hiding there.

HP Recommended

@Salvador1979,

I don't necessarily disagree with @SDH, but perhaps you want to consider an i7-6900K, as I used one of them in my HP Z440 Workstation upgrade project: Solved: Upgrading an HP Z440 Workstation - HP Support Community - 9015888.

Look, if gaming is your aim, an i7-6900K handily beats (86%) an E5-2698 v4 (72%) in gaming performance: UserBenchmark: Intel Core i7-6900K vs Xeon E5-2698 v4.

In addition, you can purchase an i7-6900K for a little less than an E5-2698 v4 via a (US) eBay Seller.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Agree with NonSequitur777... he did great work on that project and it is well worth reading. If you're going for gaming his work should be closely reviewed. The souped up Z440 is still an excellent workstation to consider either with his processor or the official "supported" ones listed in the latest HP QuickSpecs. And the prices have come way down...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.