Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Linux

After multiple failed attempts to coax my Z800 to recognize 100% of the 3TB on my SATA storage drives, instead of 2TB, (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z800-Max-Disk-Size/...), I finally figured out how to make it work.  I've decided to simply buy a PCIe card w/ SATA/SAS ports.  The posts I've seen so far on the subject are a bit dated, so I'm asking for what to consider and for recommendations.  For instance, are certain cards known to be incompatible?  

Or, what landmines exist?  In this case, should I verify that the card has 1 channel per port (<- I think that is the correct terminology...if not, bear with me).  Etc.

With respect to my use case, the disks are meant as long-term storage with easy access.  I'll use other hardware for everyday computing, etc.  In other words, I'd like SATA III, but if the cost / benefit ratio is heavily skewed towards SATA II, I'm okay with that.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A bit of digging revealed that just about any PCIe card w/ SATA ports should work.  The hidden pitfalls include cards using PCIe X1 (1 channel) v. X4 for multiple ports, true multi-port and "multiplier" ports.  The Dell PERC 310 comes highly recommended.  It is also fairly inexpensive on eBay, i.e., about the same price as a new 4-port card.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

A bit of digging revealed that just about any PCIe card w/ SATA ports should work.  The hidden pitfalls include cards using PCIe X1 (1 channel) v. X4 for multiple ports, true multi-port and "multiplier" ports.  The Dell PERC 310 comes highly recommended.  It is also fairly inexpensive on eBay, i.e., about the same price as a new 4-port card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.