Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4

Hello fellow HP enthusiasts,

I wanted to share my recent experience upgrading my HP Z8 G4 workstation with an NVIDIA RTX 4090 Founder's Edition (FE) graphics card. After spending months searching for a definitive answer on compatibility and coming up short, I decided to take the plunge and see for myself.

I’m excited to confirm that the RTX 4090 FE does indeed fit into the HP Z8 G4 system, but there’s one important modification you’ll need to make. The PCIe cover must be removed to accommodate the size of the GPU. Once removed, the side panel closes perfectly without any gap between the case cover and the GPU.

Here are a few key points from my experience:

• GPU Model: NVIDIA RTX 4090 Founder's Edition. It’s worth noting that based on my research, the FE version is slightly slimmer than other aftermarket versions, which was crucial for fitting it into the case.
  • Power Requirements: The installation required three 8-pin connectors. My system is equipped with a 1450-watt power supply, which comfortably supports the RTX 4090.
  • A Small Caveat: The necessity to remove the PCIe cover might not be ideal for everyone, but it’s a minor adjustment considering the performance gains.

I hope this information helps anyone looking to upgrade their HP Z8 G4 with this powerful GPU. It’s been a rewarding process, and I’m thrilled with the performance boost. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need further details on the installation process.

IMG_4120.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@satnai,

Thank you kindly for the information!

NonSequitur777_2-1713211510101.png

The only observation I would like to add is that the HP Z8 G4 Workstation's internal airflow could be improved because it appears to me that this PC lacks cooling fan(s).

This was the case (pun intended) with my HP Z2 G4 Workstation upgrade project, where I added three additional cooling fans, two situated behind the Workstation's front-panel and one in the side panel:

NonSequitur777_1-1713211200541.png

In your case, I wonder if adding an external cooling fan (because of lack of internal space) would be something to consider, blowing air in, right above your graphics card (see the blue square I drew in my first picture), like what I did with another upgrade project (HP ProDesk 600 G4 MT) :

NonSequitur777_3-1713211798131.png

Of course, this would mean cutting in (Ø) your side panel, buying a 90x90 mm x 25 mm cooling fan + fan finger guard and using an extension/splitter PWM power fan cable, which may be something you'd rather not do.

Just wanted to point out this option, in case your RTX 4090 temps are getting a bit too toasty.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hello Satnai,

Thank you very much for your information. I also have an HP Z8 G4 and an RTX 4090 FE. Which cable or adapter did you use to connect the RTX 4090 FE? Can you name the manufacturer or the website? If you could show a few more detailed photos, that would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

The HP workstations for years now have had higher than ATX standards power supplies. There are many posts in the forum here about the supplemental PCIe power cables in these workstations being rated for 18 Amps (at 12VDC). HP has adapters that allow safe conversion from their 6-pin plug ends to one 8-pin plug and also from a their 6-pin plug end to two 6-pin plugs ends). Those HP part numbers have been posted here too.

The point is that not just any adapter is good enough. Thin metal/ low number of copper strands per wire/ bad contacts/ unpopulated plug sockets all make using a generic adapter risky. Some name brand ones other than HP are good, but I'd say HP's are the best (given the HP engineers designed them for this high wattage service).

I agree... hopefully Satnai will fill us in on what he used, or if he now wants to get HP ones. Below is a pic of the label on the Z8 G4 1450W power supply he is using, and you can see those on eBay using the spare part number on that label.

Watts = Amps x volts... 216W = 18A x 12VDC. Note there are four 18A graphics circuits shown there (G1-G4):

Higher than ATX standards...Higher than ATX standards...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.