Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi folks,

Since I tried to install an M.2 adapter in different slots, my computer won't start anymore. I have removed all SSDs and emptied all PCIe slots. When I press the start button, a white LED lights up as long as I keep the button pressed, the same happens when I press the button on the back. Otherwise nothing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
Chris

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisKHH 

Welcome back.

A white LED indicates the system is on. But it sounds like you can't get to the BIOS; the system is DOA.

I can only suggest resetting CMOS to see if this fixes whatever problem you are now having.

MB item "34" is the clear CMOS button in the following image:

HP Z MB.png

Regards

HP Recommended

Don't get me wrong, the LED is not on, only when I press the button, then it goes off again. If I press the button for longer, the LED stays on; if I release it again, it goes out.
There is also no fan running, there is absolutely no noise, even the fan of the power supply unit is not on. No other signal noises, sounds or other LEDs are lit either.

Clear CMOS did not help.

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisKHH 

Well, I guess you have a coincidental power delivery problem somewhere from the PSU to the MB or something bad has happened when you were trying the M.2 adapter in various PCIe slots. Maybe a short to ground from damaged PCIe slot contacts

You removed all PCIe devices. Did you reinstall the graphics card? I did not check your PC's specs to see if it has onboard graphics. 

Maybe you can find something to assist you in troubleshooting this symptom in the Z440 Service Guide at this HP Site.

Regards

HP Recommended

No difference with or without graphics card.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about this, I already knew the PDF.

Thank you for your efforts!
I'll try to call H P sup port on Monday.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.