Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z220 SFF
Linux

Greetings.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can provide me with helpful insight.

I recently purchased a used z220 SFF Workstation on eBay with specs:

RAM: 32GB

HD: 750GB

OS: came with none, has Windows 7 Pro SP1 OA code sticker with product key. I have since installed Ubuntu 18.04

CPU: i7 3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz

Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1791 (as reported by terminal query)

I installed Ubuntu Biobic (18.04) and was in the process attempting to start up a previously made VirtualBox VM when I was prompted with an error that stated VTX was disabled in BIOS.

I then searched the web and found how to enter and enable virtualization in the BIOS. However, the problem I face is that these options to enable for VT-x and VT-d are greyed out and inaccessible on my machine and I can't figure out or find a way to make these options available. The Embedded Security Device option is greyed and unavailable as well. All other options are available.

I've tried setting a password and have also updated the BIOS to the latest available for the model and still no change.

This machine was bought specifically to host multiple  Virtual Machines in order to teach myself programming and SysAdmin skills. Without this ability, the machine is almost useless to me. I've also broken the case release handle, so I cannot return it. The damned thing wouldn't open and I guess I got so frustrated that I just yanked it and took a screw driver to it. I wanted to examine the motherboard. It visually matches the correct board for the z220. I have photos if anyone wishes to see.

I've seen posts from other owners of z220s that have succeeded in enabling virtualization. I've seen no evidence anywhere suggesting that this workstation cannot perform Virtualization and the i7 3770 is stated by Intel as having support the function. So, what could it be that prevents me from accessing these settings?

I'd truly appreciate any help that can be provided to help me remedy the problem.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

try clearing the CMOS, by removing the power cord and then pressing the pwr button for 5 sec, then remove the cmos battery and  wait 5 min, then press clear cmos button (if you have one), power on enter bios and see if vt can be toggled

exit and power off, reinstall cmos battery

1. In the BIOS on z210/z220 , go to security --> device security --> and change Embedded Security Device to "device available". Also the documentation says to create a BIOS setup password to enable the TPM. Save settings and exit.

2. When you log into the machine click on start --> type in tpm.msc in the search and click enter. The TPM Management window pops up and on the right hand side of the window "Initialize TPM" is enabled (initialize tpm is not enabled when tpm (embedded security device is disabled as I verified). Click on that to start the process of initialization and turning on the TPM.

did this system come with windows? and if it did was HP protect Tools installed?

Protect Tools allows admins to lock down/change parts of the bios 

install windows, and protect tools and see if you can changet the VT settings that way

(note: do not set/change any login options!!)

one last question,....where do you live?

TPM while on the motherboard may not be enabled depending on where you live same for VT options

russia is one such country that forces these options to be disabled unless you habe a license to use these features

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

try clearing the CMOS, by removing the power cord and then pressing the pwr button for 5 sec, then remove the cmos battery and  wait 5 min, then press clear cmos button (if you have one), power on enter bios and see if vt can be toggled

exit and power off, reinstall cmos battery

1. In the BIOS on z210/z220 , go to security --> device security --> and change Embedded Security Device to "device available". Also the documentation says to create a BIOS setup password to enable the TPM. Save settings and exit.

2. When you log into the machine click on start --> type in tpm.msc in the search and click enter. The TPM Management window pops up and on the right hand side of the window "Initialize TPM" is enabled (initialize tpm is not enabled when tpm (embedded security device is disabled as I verified). Click on that to start the process of initialization and turning on the TPM.

did this system come with windows? and if it did was HP protect Tools installed?

Protect Tools allows admins to lock down/change parts of the bios 

install windows, and protect tools and see if you can changet the VT settings that way

(note: do not set/change any login options!!)

one last question,....where do you live?

TPM while on the motherboard may not be enabled depending on where you live same for VT options

russia is one such country that forces these options to be disabled unless you habe a license to use these features

HP Recommended

Hi!

Thanks for your efforts to help. I have, since posting here, installed Windows 7 SP1 x64, as it is the OS indicated on the sticker affixed to the machine.

I have installed HP ProtectTools as well. But, I'm not sure what to do with ProtectTools as I have full access to all settings in the BIOS except the aforementioned three for some reason, Embeded Security Device in Device Security and VT-x and VT-d in System Security. If I'm missing something here, please, educate me.

I also downloaded the HP BIOSConfigUtility and managed to make changes to the "Embedded Security Device" setting that was greyed out which exposed a number of new options under System Security. Was this a fluke?

Unfortunately, the changes I mafde to the VTx settings don't take. I've also downloaded HP Performance Advisor and used it to make changes as well. But, as with the HP BIOS utility, the changes to VTx/Vtd dont take either.

I will next try the CMOS reset instructions you've given and report any progress. Fingers crossed.

My location is Florida, USA. As far as I know, I bought this machine from a seller in Texas. If TPM and VT are disabled on the board, is there a jumper setting or such that I can set to enable them or am I out of luck?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

there are no jumpers for TPM on the board, only the bios options to enable/disable

please try the cmos reset

HP Recommended
DGroves,

I'm immeasurably grateful for your assistance in this matter. Your instructions to reset the CMOS helped me resolve the issue. I can now manipulate all entries in the BIOS.

Thank you!!
HP Recommended

i'm glad my suguestions were of help to you, you can mark it as a accepted solution for others to find or give Kudos if you desire (or not, it's your choice)

have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.