Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got a brand spanking new Z440 and I'm creating an image for it to be deployed via PXE boot using a Microsoft WDS server. Out of the pox, I can choose F12 at startup and it displays my 2 nics. Choosing either one just takes me to the BIOS setup screen. If i disable secure boot and go with Legacy boot, I can F12 and it will start the usual PXE boot sequence, contacting my DHCP server.

I'd really like to take advantage of UEFI but I've never got it to work correctly on any of the HP notebooks, tablets or workstations. Is there a trick to all this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What Windows Server version is WDS running? If it is 2012 R2, did you set up UEFI entries in the WDS properties to it will respond to pxe requests? I would start by checking all the settings in WDS first

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Make sure that Net boot over IPv4 is also enabled in the BIOS under Advanced

HP Recommended

- In the BIOS check the Boot Order and move the "Network Controller" to the top.

- Restart the device manually and press F9 to enter the “Please select boot device” menu.  Press Enter to select the Network Controller (PXE) as the boot device.

- If all fails you might need to change to Legacy Mode.

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HP.
**Click the Thumps Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
HP Recommended

I was not able to reproduce the problem. Z440 has one NIC. One on the boot menu  is for IPV4 and the other one is for IPV6. If you enabled SecureBoot enabled, you will not see the progress of the DHCP Process. Once you configured the DHCP server and WDS Server, you will get the PXE Screen after getting the DHCP Address. With Legacy Boot enabled, are you able to see the PXE screen after getting the DHCP address? If not, you need to configure the WDS server properly.

I work for HP. All opinions and comments are my own.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.