Question

Highlighted
Intern
Message 1 of 2 (841 Views)
Accepted Solution

Win7 install on RAID0 with HP Z820

Hi there,

I am sure someone has tried this and managed to do it, but somehow I am stumped...

Basically, what I am trying to do is have a 2xSSD RAID0 OS installation.  My Z820 uses an LS 2308 card.

My system already has 2 LSI volumes, 2x256GB RAID0 on port 2-3, 4x128GB RAID0 on port 4-7 and I want to create a 2x256GB RAID0 on port 0-1 and install the OS on.  Ideally, moving my existing OS to the new RAID0.

I so far did create an image of my OS using Windows 7's backup/restore tools.  Somehow, create repair disk crashes.  As the OS was installed using the HP recovery DVDs, I'm thinking this is why.

Anyway, as the system boots, I go into the LSI config utility, and trouble starts: I can see both my SSDs and my two RAID volumes (created at the GUI, using Megaraid), but I don't seem to be able to create another RAID volume, is that a limitation of the 2308 or is there something else going on?  Disapointing...  Is that normal?

OK, fine, let's bring back the old Now, here comes the even more disapointing part: I don't seem to be able to get Windows to load the LSI drivers (or any drivers for that matter!), which means my drives can't be seen, so I can't recover anything!  Is there something I am missing?

Accepted Solution

Re: Win7 install on RAID0 with HP Z820

OK, got some restoring going integrating the drivers via DISM, come to find out the driver files alone can't be used, one has to use the entire directory hierarchy of the driver install for it to work...

Still curious as to what is happening with ports 0 & 1 not available for RAID creation...

View solution in context
Intern
Message 2 of 2 (829 Views)

Re: Win7 install on RAID0 with HP Z820

OK, got some restoring going integrating the drivers via DISM, come to find out the driver files alone can't be used, one has to use the entire directory hierarchy of the driver install for it to work...

Still curious as to what is happening with ports 0 & 1 not available for RAID creation...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation