Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 11

I recently had to add Wifi/Bluetooth to a Z4 G4 workstation I was configuring. Looking for the simplest solution, I bought an  HP Option Kit, P/N 3TK90AA. What's in the box: PCIe x1 card with Intel Wifi/BT module already installed, an extra low profile bracket, an antenna and a short black header cable, 9 pin. The enclosed "instructions" sheet consisted of an illustration of how to install the Intel module in the socket (already done at the factory, I guess), a lot of illustrations of how to install the PCIe card in various computer configurations (SFF, tower, etc.), and one of how to attach the external antenna. The "mysterious" short black header cable? No mention, except that since it had identical female connectors on each end, obviously one end was intended to be plugged into the PCIe card. Maybe. I left it off for the time being.

When I rebooted the Z4, it recognized the Wifi card, which worked perfectly right away. Device Manager showed no Bluetooth devices, though. Back to that unidentified black cable. After a lot of searching around hereabouts, I found a thread on Z2 machines that mentioned MB header connectors  and that adding Bluetooth devices to such a machine needed a USB port to work. I spent a few minutes with a flashlight, carefully looking over the MB, as there is zero data on any HP site that documents any Z4 MB connectors except for the usual suspects: SATA ports, NvMe sockets, power, etc. BUT, then I spied at the lower edge of the MB a not-so-cryptic label that identified what turned out to be a nine-pin header for an internal USB port. Plugged the black cable into that and - voila - Bluetooth functionality. Here's a photo - thought it might help someone out: Z4_MB_headersE.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.