Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z620 Workstation

Hi there! I have a Z620 workstation with a Palit GTX 970 GPU that is plugged to the power supply via two 6-pin connectors. I was thinking of changing it for an Asus Dual GeForce RTX 3060 which requires one 8-pin connector.

The two 6-pin connectors on the GPU are labelled G1 and G2 but near the power supply I only see an 8-pin G3, which I'm thinking may be where G1 and G2 stem from. If I'm correct, would I be able to plug the RTX 3060 power cable directly to the G3 so I didn't need a 6 to 8-pin adapter? Or am I totally wrong and the 6 to 8-pin adapter is the way to go? If you have any other solution or comments regarding the switch, I appreciate it, since I'm kind of a newbie regarding this.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@siderorb,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

Do you have the 800-watt power supply, with p/n: 632912-002 / 623194-002?

NonSequitur777_0-1706562611879.png

If you do have the 800-watt PSU, here is an earlier discussion thread replied to by @SDHSolved: HP Z620 dual Xeon Install new Graphic card Nvidia power conn... - HP Support Community - 602..., that may be most helpful to you.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@siderorb,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

Do you have the 800-watt power supply, with p/n: 632912-002 / 623194-002?

NonSequitur777_0-1706562611879.png

If you do have the 800-watt PSU, here is an earlier discussion thread replied to by @SDHSolved: HP Z620 dual Xeon Install new Graphic card Nvidia power conn... - HP Support Community - 602..., that may be most helpful to you.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

NonSequitur777, 

Kind of you... I've been harping on this for years now. The only thing I can add to that post is to get the adapter(s) from a reputable source. I've seen some highly probable counterfeits on eBay. There are sources of genuine HP items like CDW and B & H Photo on the web who are honorable and would not sell junk as HP fakes. I agree with DGroves from the past also feeling that StarTech has some quality adapters. You want to be sure? Buy from the engineers who make the workstations.

HP Recommended

@SDH,

You are welcome -good to hear from you!

Best wishes,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you for the link. I do have that power supply and ended up buying the official HP 6-pin to 8-pin adapter on Amazon. Even though it was pricey (~25€) compared to other options, I figured it was the safest route. I now have a working ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4060 OC Edition plugged into my Z620 workstation.

Some considerations for anyone doing anything similar: I had to unscrew the small bump piece that is present lower in the case cover as I couldn't close it otherwise. I also started having issues connecting to 5 GHz wi-fi (read online it could be an issue with some overclocked cards) but I already had some with my TP-Link T2U Plus (AC600) USB antenna so I ended up changing the way I got my internet signal.

HP Recommended

@siderorb,

Excellent -I am happy to hear your success story!

Kind Regards / Atenciosamente,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.