Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

after this experience with a 6pin to 8pin adapter (images in twitter account)
https://twitter.com/Xgamerz/status/1338261730900709377
i decided to bought 2 "original" adapters as in this post 
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z620-GPU-connector...

as SDH said in many posts G1 & G2 deliver enough power to run most high end cards, even with those "5 pin"  connector.

and i remeber, i saw on some post where Brain says, he has full 6pin and not 5, do you know the part number of that cable ?

because the only one that i found on internet is 5pin with part number 683773-001.

also the z640 cable looks 5pin under part numbers 744209-001 & 790686-001

now the question is about that adapter 460621-003, i want to know if i can get 3 pins of 12v based on 5pin or should have the full 6pin ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is where you now buy a real HP one, the latest (-004 version), and get out your trusty continuity tester to map the pinout of how HP prefers to go from the 3 +12VDC wires plus 3 ground wires that make up each PCIe supplemental power cable coming from their Z power supplies to the 6-to 8 power adapter that you'll end up plugging into your high end video card.  Then, let us know what you find if you don't mind.

Like many things in life... nothing that money can't fix.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Your answers are in this recent post,  HERE .

Proper part numbers and pictures are included.  You will not find adapters better than the HP ones.  You will find many that are significantly worse.... I recommend not going cheap.  I've seen ones missing the full compliment of wires, and using cheap thin wires and cheap loose connectors.

I guess it comes down to how willing you are to gamble with your Z workstation or expensive video card.  

There are some Chinese cheaters selling fake ones on eBay... that post tells you how to know you're getting a real one.  For the 6 to 8 adapter most of the ones shown on eBay are fake if they end in -003 right now... they don't have a ferrite core.  The -003 ones that are real do.  

HP Recommended

emmm i see ! now it become 2 questios !!
the part N1G35AA under -003 without ferrite is not originally HP product ? i ordred them from here
Shop

and the previous question : the adapter N1G35AA , will offer 3pinout 12V (8pin side) based on G1 with 5pinout or should have the full 6pinout ?

HP Recommended

The one in your retail site pic is real but it is the -004 version.  That is what I think would be ideal, and you can see the ferrite core encased in the heatshrink at the P2 (8-pin) end.  Note that all the HP PCIe supplemental power cables in the Z workstations are comprised of 6 wires (3 that are 12VDC and 3 that are ground).  I'd have to cut open a -004 version to see if they split to 4 and 4 instead in that one.  In the -003 ones you show those look likely real, but not sure.  There is one listed on eBay currently as -003 but if you mag and rotate that pic it actually shows -004.

I don't really know what you're asking in your "second" question, but what we do is get the real -004 ones with the ferrite core obvious under the heat shrink tubing at the 8-pin end and call it a day.  From what I see of the two pics for what you might have bough I think you're OK.  Pics from the ad you have, and from that eBay one I mentioned above in this post.

HP true 460621-004.jpghp-6-pin-female-pcie-to-8-pin-pcie-male-gpu-power-cable-4-a24.jpg

HP Recommended

6pin8pin.png

the second question is explained on that image (hope they commit it quickly) 😄
there few cases. 

[using ordinary adapter]

G1 with only 5pinout -> 6pin female adapter -> 8pin male adapter with only 2pinout 12V

[using HP adapter]
G1 with only 5pinout -> 6pin female adapter -> 8pin male adapter with only 2pinout 12V (expected case)

G1 with only 5pinout -> 6pin female adapter -> 8pin male adapter with 3pinout 12V (hoped case)
G1 with 6pinout          -> 6pin female adapter -> 8pin male adapter with 3pinout 12V (ideal case)

HP Recommended

This is where you now buy a real HP one, the latest (-004 version), and get out your trusty continuity tester to map the pinout of how HP prefers to go from the 3 +12VDC wires plus 3 ground wires that make up each PCIe supplemental power cable coming from their Z power supplies to the 6-to 8 power adapter that you'll end up plugging into your high end video card.  Then, let us know what you find if you don't mind.

Like many things in life... nothing that money can't fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.