Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Z800 was having a random power down issue and more recently the power supply has been acting up so i wanted to replace it. To be clear, I paid $200 for this computer and am not interested in paying another $100 for a used 850w off of ebay. I did notice that the HP Z820 uses a power supply that looks identical to the z800 and I am wondering if the Z820 power supply will work in my Z800. i have read around and found in a few places that the upgraded 1100W power supply works for both the Z800 and Z820 but did not find anything on the 850w version. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I'm in the same situation, looking for a solution too. I guess a bunch of us must have bought all these used HP Z800 of ebay recently? 🙂 

Actually, my unit was bought a little while ago and had been working until recently. I've done my own searching about replacement options. The Z820 PSU looks identical and may in fact physically fit, but the pin-out appears to be different, and also the Z820 PSU does not have a 5VSB and instead uses 11V, at least according to some postings online. 

This other thread: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z800-Power-Supply-...

has a poster also claiming that some of the 12V rails are in different locations. If any of that is true, I would be cautious about plugging in a Z820 PSU into a Z800.

If you're going for economic option, because you don't even want to spend $100 on PSU replacement, you might have to look into doing the repair yourself. According to this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z800-power-on-issu...

A possible cause is failed capacitors within the PSU. In my own case, I am not fortunate to see any visual signs of capacitor failure, so I may have to go deeper to find what has failed.

HP Recommended
Sadly I bought a z820 850w power supply and can fully confirm that it is NOT comparable with the z800. But I was only out $20 after reselling it on eBay. I just bit the bullet and got a replacement z800 850w for $86 and it has been working ever since. My power supply that failed still works but is unpredictable and randomly cuts, I also opened it but it did not have any blown or bulged caps so I'm not worried about fixing it. Still one hell of a computer for $300 especially when you load it full of 48gb DCC ram for under $100
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.