Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the prompt response @DGroves. I can't tell you how much your help means to me. In fact, I did use the PCI slot #21 as seen in the photo that I provided in an earlier post.

In so far as the fan power connector is concerned I just want to be sure that you are referring to connector #i24 again as indicated in the same board layout photo that I mention above .

HP Recommended

Good morning @SDH. It is here anyway. Thank you so much for your response. As always, it is greatly appreciated / needed.

I knew something wasn't right when I gently tried to insert the fan connector into the one on the MOBO. I see from the photo that you provided that there certainly is a noticeable difference in their design. I will begin with a sharp blade (exacto knife) an gently sand down if necessary. I suppose that once the outer ridge is removed the and the plug is inserted the correct cables will be associated with the correct pin order on the HP MOBO

HP Recommended

Peter,

The pic I attached that is the standard case fan plug shows two outer raised plastic ridges, one next to the hole for pin 1 and the other next to the hole for pin 4. To get your fan's plug to look similar you want to shave off the ridge that is central... not the one on the edge. I have no idea why you wrote "I suppose that once the outer ridge is removed..." because I specifically said the central ridge was to be removed, not the outer ridge. You can look up the pin/wire info for standard PWM plug ends... they're the same wire order if you have at least one outer ridge for reference. Pretend you're a motherboard header looking up at the plug coming down at you. You might want to have a good computer shop help you locally?

HP Recommended

Fortunately the only bit of shaving I did today was to my face. No harm No foul. Of course you are correct I misquoted your earlier response. I'll let you know how things work out once I am done. Thanks for following up with me @SDH. Much appreciated. Peter

HP Recommended

header #24 is indeed one of the two optional pwm fan headers (the other is #23) and the fan header has a tab protruding upwards that runs across all pins, instead of just 3 as found on most  other 4 pin motherboard pwm headers

if your fan connector has a center ridge you will either have to mostly remove it at the end of the connector to allow you to push the connector on the 4 pins or  learn how to slip the header onto the motherboard connector by pushing it on the pins using the proper starting angle

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.