Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Are you aware that there is a fan setting in BIOS for fan speed?

Almost all of us keep that at the lowest setting possible, and some will bump up the fan speeds if they are doing a very processor intensive project.  If that is set too high then your ambient air thermisitor will not be the cause of high fan speeds.....  what if someone set that too high and forgot to set it back down to the slowest?

HP Recommended

the OP stated that the BIOS reading of the ambiant temp sensor was "Zero" and that the case fans were ramping up to full speed this indicates a failure of either the temp sensor, or the sensor circuit itself on the motherboard.

but as SDH has rightly pointed out, you should also check the bios fan setting if you have never done so on the system

and the above "zero" reading in the bios temp monitor, has in my case's allways indicated a failure of the sensor or the MB circuit itself. and due to not having a board schenmatic, i have either used a external PWM fan speed controller board like i have linked to (for systems with dual cpu's and addin cards), or i have just installed speed limiting 5 watt resistors on the power lines of the case/mem fans if the system only has a single cpu and no addin pci-e cards rather than buying a replacement board nowadays due to the cost and time involved in doing the motherboard swap vs a 10.00 part that takes 30 min to install/configure

HP Recommended

I found a couple of motherboard for about 200 euros.

But at least why change it only for fan problems ?

I have a old 5 inc fan control panel with 5 controller and 5 temp sensor.

I already cheked that if no chassis fan connected not any beep or error from bios.

Now i will try to connect and control that fan from this controller .

My problem now is : connectors and cables recognizing.

The outside controller had 5 pieces of  3 pin connectors classic .

I do not know if one tri-cable  will be able to support the 5 big fans of my z800.

At least i can connect any fan to one thre pin connector and  put all 5 sensor into the same location.

Bur i have to recognize each cable..

How can i recognize the actual fan cables and connectors if they are all black color ?

Where can i find a schema of those fan cabling ?

how can i connect to threee cable connectors

Thanks

HP Recommended

not to be rude,....but if you could, please let us know why you can't/didn't try the items below.

is there something that HP might do on this forum to help people find the information that they are asking for

1. using this sites search function to look for z800 fan pinout in previous user postings

2. look in the HP service manual for the z800 pinouts

3. use google, keywords: HP z800 motherboard fan pinouts

last, most of the all in one 5.25 bay, multi fan controllers i have seen are not of good quality and wildly inacurate in temp readings and unable to cope with the power draw of 3/4  case fans for extended 24/7 use and are not able to smoothly ramp the fan speed/up down on each fan as needed (it's a all or nothing)

if you use the pwm controller i linked to all you need is 12v from a pwr supply molex going to the fan board,

and the 2 front fans directly plug into the fan board and you then need only to make adapters for the back case/memory fans which are two fans each and they each combine the two pwm tach lines into one so both back case and the two memory fans spin at the same speed

HP Recommended

You are not rude.

Thankz again for your help.

I will  try to clear something that was not rightly considered.

1st. I am italian and my mother language is Italian . I try to write snd understans english.

This means tha sometimes   may occurre that I missunderstand some lines

wrote:
""

not to be rude,....but if you could, please let us know why you can't/didn't try the items below.

is there something that HP might do on this forum to help people find the information that they are asking for

1. using this sites search function to look for z800 fan pinout in previous user postings

I was in the middle of a discussion and a did not realize that  I could get a look searching in other posting.

I tryed trought google search but i was not able to find any answer.

2. look in the HP service manual for the z800 pinouts

I'm not sure to have the Service manual of my z800 . I tried a lot of time to find it but i found  the User manual only.

I will  chek for this manual  booth on my pc or on google again,

3. use google, keywords: HP z800 motherboard fan pinouts

I searched too on goegle but i was not able to formulate the right  serach key .  "pinouts " .. 

<< last, most of the all in one 5.25 bay, multi fan controllers i have seen are not of good quality and wildly inacurate in temp readings and unable to cope with the power draw of 3/4  case fans for extended 24/7 use and are not able to smoothly ramp the fan speed/up down on each fan as needed (it's a all or nothing)

You may be right but the chassys fan , according to my poor opinion, are not so important to need millimetrical controll.  cpu  seems to be separale allarmed, isn't it ?

<<if you use the pwm controller i linked to all you need is 12v from a pwr supply molex going to the fan board,

and the 2 front fans directly plug into the fan board and you then need only to make adapters for the back case/memory fans which are two fans each and they each combine the two pwm tach lines into one so both back case and the two memory fans spin at the same speed .

I thought my way , that was tou use  the 52 controller , was the easysar in realizing.

If you assure this is the better way to procede  , pls clear me finally what to do .

How does it funtion and how can procede with connectors and so on .

How many pieces of it are needed.

at least the chassis fan are 5 an the connectors are 3 . 2 six pins and a 4 pins.

It will be nice from you if you can spell / guide me in realizing your reccomandation.

pwm = MEANS =? (SORRY)

Sincerelly gratefull

GABRIELE

HP Recommended

if english is not afluent language for you, please in the future when asking for help mention this and your native language

then if possible we can provide links besides english ones

from a previous post:

the z820 rear fan pinout is the same as the z800

and both the z800/z820 models have their manuals posted online which includes this information

please download the z820 service manusl for future reference

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01718096

HP Recommended

Yesss  ... but  try to think that sometimes  tha most of us can achieve the easiest solution :

From anchient times I tried HP support on italian  , I found very few answers on my italian site .

Now I just ordered the pwm  fan speed controller an I will receive it into the next 2 weeks.

I have your fan connector schema . I think I will go to end solving this problem.

I really thank you DGroves . Thanks to you and to your pathient help .

Gabriele :Wink:

HP Recommended

I disconnected all chassy fans . Bios error occured for fan fail .

I thin that a restece is neede ìd . Can you tell me which value is needed .

Thanks,

Gabriele

HP Recommended

i have posted on this several times, please use this sites "search" function for z88/z820 fans

you can not run the system with no chassies fans as it will overheat and damage the motherboard,.............

either follow the fan temp sensor repair docs, or order a 3rd party PWM fan controller module

or buy a replacement power cable for the system for aprox 40.00

adding a current/voltage resistor to the fan power lines should only be atempted by someone who knows what they are doing,.....connecting a wrong wire to 12v can damage the motherboard (you have been warned)

HP Recommended

@DGroves@DGroves wrote:

i have posted on this several times, please use this sites "search" function for z88/z820 fans

No answers from searching in hp suport search.

you can not run the system with no chassies fans as it will overheat and damage the motherboard,.............

either follow the fan temp sensor repair docs, or order a 3rd party PWM fan controller module

I ordered it and i will recieve it in a couple of weeks.

or buy a replacement power cable for the system for aprox 40.00

My power cable is ok ( we wrote about it  some posts ago )

adding a current/voltage resistor to the fan power lines should only be atempted by someone who knows what they are doing,.....connecting a wrong wire to 12v can damage the motherboard (you have been warned)

Yess !! I belive in it from the beginning. At the beginning i did not realize that I  will recieve a bios alt if something wrong on fan presences .

WHen you recomend me to buy the esternal fan controller board , did  you mean I will connect it to the 12 v + - fan connector  to have no bios error ?  I have three 3 fan connector output on the motherboard. I should buy three controller ?

Thanks

Gabriele

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.