Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
probook 6550b
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello.

I got this PC from my work. i was told i ran win7. later found out that from new it was installed with win7 pro, but was downgraded to XP and the recovery partition was erased, so now i cant reinstall win7! as promissed!!

On windows home page, I was told to contact HP, because win7 was installed from factory HP. What do I do from here, any solution?? I have the Win product key for the win7 previus installed..

Best regards

Jesper Pedersen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you live in the USA/Canada, call HP at this number and order a set of W7 Pro 64 bit recovery disks.

1-800-334-5144

Have the serial # of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set is around $10 delivered via 1st class mail.

If you don't live in the USA/Canada, call the HP business pc support number for the country you live in.

I have an old phone directory below.  I have no idea what numbers are still valid.

http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/desktop/business_desktops/6005us_332630_007.pdf

Alternatively, this site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7Pro SP1 or the (Retail version, but the OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Pro SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

You can use this tool to transfer the ISO file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

HP Recommended

Thank you very much... I will try. Live in scandinavia, so will find a phonenumer over here..

Best

Jesper

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If no luck, you can try the language version of the W7 ISO file you need from the site I posted.

HP Recommended

When i download from the link, my pc says that it is not a villid 32 bit file??

HP Recommended

Which file are you trying to download?

I have only tried the W7 Pro English ISO file and it worked just fine for me.

The downloader exe file also works fine for me.

HP Recommended

ISO downloader exe...

ISO downloader exe is not a valid win32 program .. is the message..

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have zipped it up and attached it below.

All I can say is it works just fine for me when I run it.

HP Recommended
Ok, thank you again. It still doesn´t work here:-) I´ll try download the files from my workplace tomorrow, maby that helps...again thanks:-)
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What should happen is the program launches and you get a menu of what Windows you want to install (W7, 8.1 or W10).

Then you select the version of W7 and the language you want and it open the link to the download.

If you tell me what version of W7 you want and what language I will run the tool, and post the link which will be good for 24 hours.

I will also need to know if you are in a EU country.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.