Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet Z3200 44-in PostScript Photo Printer

Hi

I have an HP Z3200PS that is at the end of its useful life.  It might have some salvage value, and someone more enthusiastic than I could probably fix it up (3rd printer cable is needed and it has a clanking sound), but I’d think it’s ripe for disposal.  Any tips on how to do that easily and well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Couple options come to mind.

You might try posting up your general location (just city and state maybe) here on this board and see if anyone is in your area that might be interested in taking it off your hands.  Or send anyone interested a PM and share your location that way.  Not sure how HP feels about putting your location.  Feel free to PM me your location info because I'd be interested, depending on how close you are.

You might also try posting it up on your local Craigslist and try to sell it for parts.  In my area (Omaha, NE) there are people always looking for a printer they can repair and use.  The Z3200 is a very good photo printer and you might be surprised how many people come out of the woodwork to purchase.  It will sell better if you include the HD and formatter but you'll need to wipe the HD to be safe.  Or remove the HD and let the buyer put in a new one.

I know of no other disposal method/places from HP but if you have a print supply office near you, they might be interested in the machine for parts.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If you are going to dispose, remove the formatter as this contains personal data. If you plan on donating it or selling it you need to perform a hard disk initialization to remove your data from the device.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

That’s certainly helpful, but doesn’t quite answer the question.  I can’t dispose of this in the trash can or at the local dump, nor do I want to.  I see from HP’s website that they have an end-of-life service for many HP devices, but I can’t find a reference to this large format printer.  I tried calling, but the phone call answer-person just referred me to the website.  I still wonder if HP might not have a service for this as they do for other devices as well as used ink cartridges and printheads for the Z3200.  Since the phone and the web don’t work well for this, I have come here.  

If there’s someone here who had a similar problem and couldn’t find anything, a simple acknowledgement of that fact would help and then I could make arrangements to dispose of it (less efficiently).

Thanks

HP Recommended

I think if you are purchasing a new model they may have a recycle option.

https://hardware-recycle.ext.hp.com/ui/index.html?landing=business&languageCode=en&countryCode=US#/r...

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Couple options come to mind.

You might try posting up your general location (just city and state maybe) here on this board and see if anyone is in your area that might be interested in taking it off your hands.  Or send anyone interested a PM and share your location that way.  Not sure how HP feels about putting your location.  Feel free to PM me your location info because I'd be interested, depending on how close you are.

You might also try posting it up on your local Craigslist and try to sell it for parts.  In my area (Omaha, NE) there are people always looking for a printer they can repair and use.  The Z3200 is a very good photo printer and you might be surprised how many people come out of the woodwork to purchase.  It will sell better if you include the HD and formatter but you'll need to wipe the HD to be safe.  Or remove the HD and let the buyer put in a new one.

I know of no other disposal method/places from HP but if you have a print supply office near you, they might be interested in the machine for parts.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this D Hook.  I’m about 1000 miles away.  I’m sure there are a few people wishing 300 miles of me that, if they knew the printer as is was available, wouild pick it up and fix it for another three or so years and it would be great.  I just don’t know how to reliably find them. Thought of advertising in Craigs List or on EBay but that’s uncertain to find someone to pick it up for free and reimburse me for the add and my time.  But as it is I have some faith that a  recycling program I’ve tapped into will put it into almost as good of use.    

You reminded me though to reach out to someone I know in the SE that could use it before I do.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Would be interested but found a recycling option hopefully equally good.  The HP large format fine art photo printing offerings for the last 10 years or so have not, in my view anyways, kept up to speed with at least one long lasting major competitor’s WFP I just purchased today.  Going with that one sadly.   ith the Z3100 and 3200, HP 12years ago was poised to blow the socks off of E and C in wide format inkjet printers.  For what hopefully was a good reason, a decision was made to do something else.  Loved the 3200 while I’ve had it.

HP Recommended

You can post free ads on Craigslist.  

Facebook is another good place to advertise for free.  I would avoid Ebay since their fees are too high, IMHO.  Too many hoops to jump through with Ebay.

Good luck.  I'm sure someone would love to have it since these are great printers.  Just a bit finicky.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.