Question

Student
Dieverts
Message 1 of 2 (1,076 Views)

Dual Monitors - second not detected

I have a HP Pavilion p6504f Desktop PC and want to have dual monitors. Output from PC is VGA, and I have VGA Y cable.

I am on the "Screen Resolution" setup screen but it does not display the two monitors. I have  tried clicking the "Detect" but it does not recognized the second monitor. Tried rebooting too... I am getting same screen display on both monitors now....How do I recognize second monitor,,,or is this impossible with this system...Dennis

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 2 (1,065 Views)

Re: Dual Monitors - second not detected

Here are the specs for your HP p6504f Desktop Computer. Your computer came with one analog VGA output for the integrated Intel GMA x4500. The "Y" cable is the reason for your issue. The computer "talks" with the monitor to determine its resolution, refresh rates, etc. Because the "Y" cable splits the connection to both monitors, the computer gets confused and doesn't know what to do. You can force the correct resolution and refresh rates for the monitora but they will alway display the same image.

If you wish to display two independent images on your monitors, you will need to install a PCIe x16 graphics card the supports concurrent use of multiple monitors. Additionally, because your computer only has a 250 watt power supply your choice of retail graphics cards will be limited unless you upgrade the power supply as well.

Alternatively, you could use a USB-to-video device like the EVGA UV Plus+ 19 which connects to an open USB port and outputs video to a monitor.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation