HP 2509m monitor display flashes on and off using HDMI cable input (11742 Views)
Tutor
JudgeLeo
Message 1 of 12 (11,742 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 2509m monitor display flashes on and off using HDMI cable input

[ Edited ]

I'm having trouble with my new HP2509m monitor. When I connect it to my cable box using the HDMI connection the screen image flashes on for a few seconds and then turns black for a few seconds and continues to do so. The time interval changes from perhaps 3 to 6 seconds in each phase.

This is the second monitor I have received that exhibits this behavior. When I first bought my system in October I ordered the 23" monitor and it worked just fine with the HDMI input, but I had trouble with the PC and exchanged it. The 2509 was introduced in the mean time so I decided to exchange my 23" monitor for the 25", but now I am regretting that decision. The main reason I bought the additional monitor was to have the option of switching to the HDMI input for television viewing, saving some space in my office.

I tried the monitor using the same HDMI cable connecting it to my computer's HDMI out and the diplay is fine, so it appears to be an issue with the cable signal, however everything worked with the 23" monitor leaving me to think it  is an issue with the 2509 monitor's HDMI tuner.

I have searched the documentation on HP site as well as searching google but have found nothing like this. Has anyone seen this and is there a fix for it? I would like to keep the monitor. Thanks. 

Message Edited by JudgeLeo on 12-03-2009 08:00 PM
Message Edited by JudgeLeo on 12-03-2009 08:03 PM
Message Edited by JudgeLeo on 12-03-2009 08:03 PM
Tutor
ning1760
Message 2 of 12 (11,357 Views)

Re: HP 2509m monitor display flashes on and off using HDMI cable input

I've also had similar problems with our HP 2509 monitor. I've executed a few things that others have tried on these forums, but to no avail. I get intermittent black outs that fade in and out lasting a second or two. This unit is less than a week old. It came with a DVI cable, and we didn't  use it very much because I switched it to an HDMI cable. I really would like to get this resolved, and I hope that someone can offer the fix.

I have the HPE 170t computer, Windows 7 Professional. This computer comes with an HP support assistant which checks for updates for the entire computer, and it's up to date, as far as I know. I will be switching back to the DVI cable in a few days, but in the meantime, I will check this forum to see if anyone has a solution.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 12 (11,345 Views)

[ Edited ]

JudgeLeo,

Be sure your cable box is set for 1080P (1920x1080) progressive and not interlaced.  Frankly, I don't know if cable boxes can run 1080P. Check with your cable company.  A TV's ATSC tuner will make the conversion but don't expect the monitor to do it.  You may have to run 720P to your monitor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
ning1760
Message 4 of 12 (11,304 Views)

As a followup to my problem with the black screen fading in and out. I rremoved the HDMI cable and replaced it with the original DVI cable, and "voila," it worked. No more black screen fading in and out. As I did some more research on HDMI cables, I found that many people had run into similar problems, and that all HDMI cables are not alike. 

I investigated the latest HDMI standards and versions.  I paid $20 for the HDMI cable which I returned to HomeDepot. I was using the HDMI vesion 1.3a/b which works well with many users. However, there is also 1.3c version, and a more advanced version 1.4 which is for 3D. Most likely, I will try the latest iteration, the 1.3c, and I will buy the one that gets the best reviews for usage on computers and monitors.

Should I encounter any more problems when I install a new HDMI cable, I will keep this forum advised. I hope this will help others.

Tutor
JudgeLeo
Message 5 of 12 (11,297 Views)

[ Edited ]

Apparently I was early to the party with issues with this monitor.

Turns out the monitor is incompatible with the cable box that I had. The box is made by ADB and is capable of displaying 1080I content. The 1080I isn't the issue though because I can use an HDMI to DVI Adapter and connect to the monitor and it works OK; problem is, then I don't have the computer connected to DVI like I wanted.

My cable provider was gracious enough to take the monitor and test it. They discovered that one of their older version cable boxes (Amino) works fine with the monitor. They swapped out the box and it has been working well since.

I am using the HDMI cable my cable provider supplied, so I don't know the spec version it is at.

My advice to anyone experiencing the HDMI display flashing is to get an HDMI/DVI adapter and try it. They ship with quite a few monitors so they are pretty easy to find if you know anyone that works in an IT department. If the monitor displays the signal properly then the issue is probably  the cable box, or as another poster suggested, the cable may be out of spec.

It is convenient having the monitor double as a TV. The picture quality is superb, but the sound is not. I don't understand why monitor manufacturers insist on scrimping on the speakers. A monitor with "premium quality " sound would be a selling point, and buyers would gladly pay for the upgrade. I'm sure for many people like me it's all about simplifying - removing the clutter and cables from our desks. HP are you listening?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 12 (11,277 Views)

Not all HDMI cable are made the same.  However, the HDMI cables at www.PCcables.com  do work in several applications for me including 1080P bluray.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
chrisdonaldson
Message 7 of 12 (9,410 Views)

I have 2 of these monitors connected to my new mac pro system osx 10.0.6.  I'm having these black flashes on only one of my monitors but I'm connected using the DVI cable. It was also doing it through the VGA only on this one monitor. I've tried different DVI and VGA cables, including the ones that work on my other monitor and tried switching the inputs on the back of my computer and doesn't fix it... I havent tried the HDMI but there I don't have an HDMI connection on the back of my computer anyways.

any ideas?

Teacher
blargg
Message 8 of 12 (9,397 Views)

I don't understand why monitor manufacturers insist on scrimping on the speakers. A monitor with "premium quality " sound would be a selling point, and buyers would gladly pay for the upgrade.

I, for one, don't want my computer monitor trying the impossible task of matching my computer speakers. It can't do it without adding lots of extra bulk and cost, and what's the point? It still can't match a subwoofer. Computer monitor displays pictures, speakers make sound. Even with a TV it will never match an even low-cost separate sound system.

I don't understand why any monitor exists with HDMI input but no audio OUTPUT so you can plug in real speakers. Since HDMI bundles audio with everything, you need some way to route the audio to speakers.

Tutor
JudgeLeo
Message 9 of 12 (9,385 Views)

chrisdonaldson wrote:

I have 2 of these monitors connected to my new mac pro system osx 10.0.6.  I'm having these black flashes on only one of my monitors but I'm connected using the DVI cable. It was also doing it through the VGA only on this one monitor. I've tried different DVI and VGA cables, including the ones that work on my other monitor and tried switching the inputs on the back of my computer and doesn't fix it... I havent tried the HDMI but there I don't have an HDMI connection on the back of my computer anyways.

any ideas?

The black flashes sound similar, however mine was constant about every 3-5 seconds.

For me the quickest way to diagnose computer problems is usually swapping out system components with known good replacements. In your case you would want to connect the offending monitor to a different system (using a known good cable), at the same resolution and displaying the same content (i.e. movie, hi-res photo,spreadsheet,etc.). If the black flashes persist that isolates the monitor or the content, if not then it points another component (cables) or your mac. Repeating the process, swapping in your components one at a time should help isolate the offending component.

My first thought was whether your system - especially the video card - is capable of rendering both monitors under full load. It should be able to, but there may be a deficiency in one of the components that only becomes apparent under stress. I had issues with the power supply on my new HP 9250 when I upgraded the video card. It worked fine until I fired up an fps at 1920 x 1200 screen resolution. After 5-10 minutes the power supply would shut down and restart the entire system. If I lowered the screen resolution, or used a smaller monitor, the power supply would keep up. Sometimes the symptoms don't readily point to the problem.

Maybe your mac dealer can offer some assistance too. Good luck, I hope you solve your issue! 

Honor Student
chrisdonaldson
Message 10 of 12 (9,255 Views)

So I tried plugging in cables that I know are good from my other working monitor and the bad one still does it while the good one doesn't, even with the switched cables.  I feel like the problem probably isnt the cables then? I also switched which input they are going into on the back of the computer and still the same one does the black flashes. 

I also plugged both monitors into my old imac and still the same one flashes black every once in awhile.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation