Question

Honor Student
EastonScott
Message 1 of 5 (1,185 Views)

HP Touchsmart screen 310 PC

After I recently sent my HP Touchsmart to a support team to fix up my computer for having a completely black screen, I got it back and started to use it again. After 2 weeks or so I started up my computer and the screen lights up, but nothing. It still makes the welcome noise and everything, just no picture. Safety mode doesn't seem to work either, anybody know?
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 2 of 5 (1,157 Views)

Re: HP Touchsmart screen 310 PC

Hey EastonScott, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with a black screen. If you're still hearing Windows sounds, that narrows down the issue to a display hardware issue (some black screen issues where no sounds are heard could include concerns with the hard drive, etc.). 

It could be that the backlight or display inverter has gone out. Try shining a flashlight on the screen and see if you can see a very dim image. If you can see a dim image, the backlight or the inverter has gone out. The best way to determine which one of those it is, is to replace the inverter with a known good inverter. 

All repairs have a 90 day guarantee even if the computer is out of warranty. I would suggest calling the HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836 to get the TouchSmart back in for repair, if that is a viable option for you. If not, you could search for and replace the inverter by itself. 

LG Inverter Part#: 624424-001

Samsung/CMI Inverter Part#: 624424-002

AUO Inverter Part#: 624424-003

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any questions and what the results are if you get a chance :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
EastonScott
Message 3 of 5 (1,148 Views)

I have tried your flashlight method and I'm still getting no picture. My screen is not completely black, it's lit up into a bluish color as if works fine, just no video action. Also, just before I start hearing the windows noise, the screen does go completely black for about 2 seconds, then goes back to blue. Flashes are also happening on screen as all of this is going on.

Thanks for the reply!

-Easton
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 4 of 5 (1,145 Views)

Is the screen blank from the second you press the power button? Do you get an HP logo splash screen at all? or any other screen?

Try unplugging the power cord from the back and pressing and holding the Power button for 10 while the power cord is unplugged. This will drain all of the electricity out of the unit and give it a fresh boot state. That can solve strange issues more times than one would imagine.

Once you've held it for about 10 seconds, release the power button and plug the power cord back in and press the power button once like normal to turn it back on. Give it some time and see if an image will appear.

If it is still blank, hold the power button to turn it back off. 

This time, press the power button once like normal to turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F10 key to see if the BIOS will load.

If you still get a blank screen, reseating the RAM is definitely a worthwhile step. I've personally fixed computers with 'no display' issues by taking the RAM out and putting it back in.

Here's a link to the manual for your TouchSmart 310  -  instructions for removing the RAM are on page 14.

The fact that the screen is bluish means the backlight and inverter are both fine. Let me know what results you get from those steps, if you get a chance please :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 5 of 5 (1,121 Views)

Any update on the blank screen issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation