Question
HP w2408h monitor volume window pops up unexpectedly
Replies (29)

Student
StefanMax
Message 21 of 30 (2,836 Views)

Re: HP w2408h monitor volume window pops up unexpectedly

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem with a w2408h: The "Quick View" Windows pops up every once in a while (5-10 times an hour). The buttons usually become unresponsive during this time, as does the power button. Resetting to factory defaults did not help.

My only solution is to hold the "Menu"-button (if responsive) for 10 seconds to activate the OSD lockout (which blocks the keys from "pressing themselves"). This way, only an annoying "OSD lockout" window pops up every once in a while, but no settings get changed.

Another strange problem with this monitor: From time to time, all settings are lost, and the infamous "burn in"-mode (in which the monitor cycles through red-green-blue-white-black during power-save mode) gets activated. This, however, can be solved for a few hours with a reset (if the buttons work long enough to navigate the OSD).

Student
awray
Message 22 of 30 (2,766 Views)

I followed thayerstreajer's advice and dismantled the monitor front. I then disconnected the push button board and now I don't get that pop up anymore!!! It was worth the fear of breaking the monitor. I was going to buy another monitor if this one did not get better. I used a slim, yet long flat-bladded screwdriver to gently pry up the black outer plastic on my HPw1907. You can easily see the wire connected to the small board: just remove it.  I'm sure that you already know, but unplug the monitor first. Good luck!

Honor Student
godxavier
Message 23 of 30 (2,610 Views)

Student
flyness
Message 24 of 30 (2,550 Views)

I have a HP w1907 which JUST started having the same problem.  IN my case, the down (-) volume button was continuously activated on its own. 

HOWEVER I FIXED IT.  I'm not a technical/hardware type of dude but I CAREFULLY took a flathead screwdriving and gently pried the black plastic border away from the monitor screen.  Once removed, I gently tugged at each one of the buttons and moved the red and black wires a bit. 

I did this for about five minutes and then reconnected the monitor.  NO MORE POPUP!  :smileyhappy: 

Hopefully it stays this way.  Good luck everyone

Tutor
mjp65aa
Message 25 of 30 (2,104 Views)

Add me to list and I paid top price for this product.  I say we start to pentition for comsumer protection action on this. It is rediculous to have a factor glitch that make the montor unusable.

Student
Blanton208
Message 26 of 30 (1,973 Views)

i have a HP 2207 monitor that is experiencing the volume icon popping up.  Looks like i need to replace it according to all of the comments related to this issue.  Do i buy any hp monitor and is it just a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting the monitors?

Tutor
mjp65aa
Message 27 of 30 (1,971 Views)

You can fix this by diconecting the menu button.  I actully have not had the issue since the summer, but I would do that before buying a new one and it will not be a HP if I do that.

Top Student
jsrconst
Message 28 of 30 (1,918 Views)

HP w2408h monitor volume window pops up unexpectedly

I have the same problem the volume window when its up its on top sometimes the buttons work and most of the time they don't, a factory reset dose nothing. When the dialogue first pops up the volume moves down to zero and the speakers stop working. Not only the volume window pops up unexpectedly the speakers don’t work either. So from what I have read here it must be time to crack the monitor open and cut the wires to the menu buttons?  Any manual for this? Not to happy with HP!

Student
abzde
Message 29 of 30 (1,739 Views)

So glad this thread exists. My monitor was going crazy  with the volume button continually pressing by itself at random moments.

There's a rectangular hole on either side of the black monitor case and I was able to stick a flat head screw driver into which made it easy to pop the black case off. Then it was easy to find the plug that connected the monitor buttons. There's green, red, and black wires coming out of the plug. I just unplugged it with my exacto knife. Problem solved. the buttons are disabled and I didn't have to break anything in the process. Just pushed the monitor screen back in place and the "repair" is finished.

I never used those monitor buttons anyways. So disabling them is the best solution possible.

Honor Student
RealEstateGuy
Message 30 of 30 (500 Views)

My two cents. I have repaired many monitors over the 40 years I have been in business and what I have found on these very nice HP monitors is bad solder. These are high quality monitors made mostly by LG however the soldering process is a bit flawed. If you remove the front bezel you are able to remove the assembly that has the four push switches. After removing the two screws you may need to carefully bend the rear housing plastic a little to get the assembly to come out. Resolder all the connections on this board, even if they look good they aren't. This should fix the volume, auto adjust and any other crazy pop up. It will also cure some monitors that don't want to shut off. This whole process shouldn't take more than a half hour. I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation