Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h8-1380t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I recently changed my video interface from DVI-D to HDMI, and while my monitor (HP ZR2240w) shows up in the nVidia Control Panel (Set Up Digital Audio pane) as "... displays that will appear as audio devices in the Windows Sound settings:", it does not, in fact, appear as an available Playback Device.

NVIDIA High Definition Audio appears (four times) in Device Manager under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, and I've set the Windows Sound settings to show disabled and disconnected devices, but there is no NVIDIA HD Audio (or HP ZR2240w monitor) listed anywhere.

System Specs:

HP Model Number: B4J28AV#ABA (Pavilion HPE h8-1380t)

Motherboard: Pegatron 2ACE(Socket 0); 1.08; Intel Sandy Bridge-E Rev. 07; Intel Southbridge X79 Rev. 05

BIOS: AMI 7.15

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K (3.2 GHz)

GPU: MSI GeForce GT640; nVidia High Definition Audio Driver 1.3.34.15 (5/10/16)

Audio: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (Beats Audio)

How can I get the HDMI audio to become available as a Playback Device in Windows Sound settings?

Thanks...

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @DPD859 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for your continued participation with the HP Support forums! I would glad to be of your assistance 🙂

Going through your post, I understand that you are facing issues with the audio after changing the video interface from DVI-D to HDMI.

The DVI port does not carry audio signal unless you use a DVI to HDMI adapter with audio or cable with audio to the get the audio carried along with the video. Are you using that? Please let me know. Also, please check the below links for detailed information:

Link 1: http://hp.care/2lQ5spu

Link 2: http://hp.care/2lPQQGq

Alternatively, if you are not using the adapter with audio, then to hear sound through the display, you must connect the computer Audio Line Out connector to the DVI Audio In connector on the monitor or TV, and select DVI as the source. Do not select HDMI as the default audio device in Windows. Go to http://hp.care/2lPNLWO and check “My display does not have an HDMI connector”.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Actually, I had been connecting my video from the DVI-D port on my video card (GeForce GT640 OEM) directly to the DVI-D port on my monitor.  I have changed that so that I am now connecting my video from the HDMI port on my video card, through a KanexPro SW-HD4X1AUD4K HDMI switcher (which has an integral HDMI audio extraction circuit), to the HDMI port on my monitor.  The video is working perfectly fine.

I have in the past, and am still currently connecting my PC speakers to the 3.5mm stereo output jack on my PC case (which is driven by the Beats Audio IDT HD Audio CODEC via the Internal High Definition Audio Bus), but would now like to connect them to the 3.5mm stereo output jack on the HDMI switcher (in other words, I'd like to have my audio delivered via the HDMI port on my video card rather than via the Beats Audio output jacks on my PC case).   Since the video card HDMI port is capable of carrying my audio (via nVidia HD Audio, which is shown in the Device Manager under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers as being connected to the Internal High Definition Audio Bus), I would expect to be able to see either nVIDIA HD Audio itself or a peripheral that is connected to the video card via HDMI as a selectable playback device somewhere in the Windows Sound settings, but I do not.  All I see for selectable playback devices in the Windows Sound settings are those associated with the IDT HD Audio CODEC.

What I would like to know is if there is some way to make nVidia HD Audio (or a peripheral connected to it via HDMI) available as a selectable Playback Device in the Windows Sound settings.

HP Recommended

Hello, @DPD859

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate your efforts 🙂

I would like to suggest installing the drivers directly from the NVidia site. If the issue is with the drivers, then an updated driver will fix the issue. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Device manager – Uninstall the NVidia drivers.
  2. Check the box which says “Delete the driver software” to completely remove the software and complete the uninstall process.
  3. Now go to http://hp.care/2gYVgHF to automatically search and install the latest NVidia drivers for your card.
  4. Restart the PC couple of times and check.  

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Updated the driver and no change.

HP Recommended

Hello, @DPD859

Thanks for the update!

I did some digging on your specific issue and I am afraid we cannot make nVidia HD Audio available as a selectable Playback Device in the Windows Sound settings. Also, KanexPro SW-HD4X1AUD4K HDMI switcher is a device which we have not tested and hence we cannot be completely sure of the correct settings to do this.

Hence, I would suggest you contact the HP phone support so that they can help you by taking a remote control on your PC to check the settings. 

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Well, that's a shame.

HP phone support is going to cost me at least $60 and there's no guarantee they'll be able to come up with a solution for me either, which would leave me right where I am today and $60 poorer.  I can configure a 3.5mm 2x1 audio switch for less than half of that.  It's not as clean as I'd like, but it'll get the job done.

By the way, and regarding the KanexPro HDMI Switcher, the reason I'd mentioned it was so that you'd understand why I'm trying to get my PC audio onto my video card HDMI port (I want to be able to switch video and audio, via HDMI, to my monitor / speakers from two PCs.).  The switcher really doesn't even factor into the problem because it's simply passing the video to my monitor. In fact, it's transparent to the nVidia Control Panel, which is able to see my monitor through the switcher without any difficulty.

If you do manage to come up with a way to get my system audio available via the video card HDMI, please let me know...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.