Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Computer beeped six short beeps on startup. Did not start up. Continued until I shut it off. When I started it again, it worked just fine.
This happened every time I wanted to use The computer. I later wanted to fix The problem, so I reseated The RAM, and now The computer does not boot, and beeps five short beeps.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Remove all of the memory modules and test only one at a time.

Normally you test them in the slot closest to the processor.

If the PC still beeps 5 times after testing each memory module individually, most likely the motherboard has failed.

it is doubtful that every memory module is faulty unless you only have one or two at the most.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Remove all of the memory modules and test only one at a time.

Normally you test them in the slot closest to the processor.

If the PC still beeps 5 times after testing each memory module individually, most likely the motherboard has failed.

it is doubtful that every memory module is faulty unless you only have one or two at the most.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.