Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy h8-5410eo
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

6 months ago I installed new video card to my PC and when I boot the comp it had the 6 long beeps and it was fixed by changing going to BIOS and changing it to legacy mode. But today I was pissed off my fast boot was not working and went to BIOS and look around is the issue there. I see secure boot is turned off and I totally forgot why I changed it. Now my comp does 6 long beeps again and I'm unavaible to access the BIOS. Same with windows 8 UEFI. Blank screen and nothing happens.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to remove the video card you installed, then you should be able to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode, disable secure boot so you can reinstall the video card.

Fast boot...you need to make sure the Turn on fast startup box is checked in the power options menu in the control panel.

Control Panel>System & Security>Power Options>Change What the Power Buttons Do>Check the enable fast startup box.

HP Recommended

I don't have another video card that I can replace it with.

Also the fast boot is enabled on the control panel. But it still don't work

HP Recommended

You don't need another video card.

The problem is when you turned on secure boot, the BIOS now rejects the non-HP video card.

The solution is to remove the video card, use the onboard graphics so you can access the BIOS, disable secure boot and then reinstall your video card.

If your model does not have onboard graphics, or the onboard graphics doesn't work, then it is time for a new motherboard or PC because there is no way out of the dilemma you are in unless the onboard graphics works.

Please see this info to refresh your memory as to why you had to disable secure boot and enable legacy mode in the BIOS when you installed the non-HP video card.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

HP Recommended

Is there way to flash my BIOS with legacy boot & virtualization enabled? 😕

HP Recommended

Not if you can't see the sreen.

You are completely out of luck if the onboard graphics doesn't work.

HP Recommended

The comp dont have onboard graphics. I can see the windows screen just not the bios screen

HP Recommended

Then your model must have come with a proprietary HP graphics card that you removed and replaced with another one?

The PC beeps but then you can get into windows.

The problem still is that even if you update the BIOS, the defaults will still be set (secure boot enabled, legacy mode disabled), and the beeping will continue.

HP Recommended

Yeah, but is there way to change the defaults to be legacy mode enabled?

HP Recommended

Not if you can't get into the BIOS.

The default setting is legacy mode disabled, secure boot enabled.

So, removing the coin cell battery, or whatever, just sets the BIOS to its defaults.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.