Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 410y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older desktop, Pavilion 410y.  Upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 or so months ago, and it has been running fine ever since.

Last week I re-booted, and it came up in auto repair mode, then locked up on a screen that says to select keyboard layout.  USB keyboard and mouse will not respond.  This seems to have been a very common problem when people first downloaded Windows 10, but I've not seen anyone post about it happening after months of successful use.

Tried all the fixes on the interwebs. . . Then called Microsoft.  They say that the Pavilion 410y is no longer compatible with Windows 10.  It was when 10 was released, but with the two automatic updates since, it is no longer.  

Microsoft claims I can contact HP and find out what hardware is now incompatible to update it.  I can't find out how to get to that point. . . 

At this point, I'm willing to do some low cost hardware fixes just to get me back up and running so I can verify and copy all my stuff, then get another computer soon.  Anyone have any solutions/suggestions/magic?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @CB_Coldwater, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand USB keyboard and mouse are not functioning at the lock screen on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with the onscreen keyboard?

Did you connect the USB keyboard and mouse to a different USB port and does it work?

Try running a system diagnostics on your PC and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to run system diagnostics on your PC.

If you are able to boot into your PC using the onscreen keyboard

Try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if helps.

Also, try performing a system restore on your PC and check if helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but as I said, it was a very common problem for some people when they first downloaded Windows 10. . .just odd that it happened to me over six months later.  I could not do anything but get to bios or get to HP recovery mode--Windows auto repair came up first, and the first screen it came to was the select keyboard layout. . .and at THAT point the keyboard and mouse would be dead.  If I hit F2/10/11 before windows repair came up, to go into bios, etc, keyboard and mouse were fine.

Tried other usb ports, tried getting to restore via the HP recovery thing but no restore points were recognized. Tried saving defaults in bios. . .tried many nebulous things suggested on the webs. . .nothing worked.

And no, I have not installed anything in months.

Microsoft (as I said) claims that with the two Windows 10 updates since it came out, that my model is no longer compatible, and HP should be able to tell me what hardware is now incompatible.

So, an update:  I could get to the backup feature in the HP recovery mode, but I could not select specific files--only types of files--so my backup disk did not have enough room.  As luck would have it, I had a never yet opened larger backup drive. I plugged that in, re-started the computer thinking I'd have to get to the HP recovery mode and backup there. . . and lo and behold it booted up to Windows.  This after at least 50 tries previous that did not work.

I can't explain it. . . but I now have everything backed up right up to today, so I'm good.

Thanks for replying and trying to help.

HP Recommended

Hi @CB_Coldwater,

I read the post comprehensively. You've displayed great resolve, resilience and excellent persistence to try and get the issue fixed. Kudos to you on that score.:)

As you've contacted Microsoft and they have stated that computer is no longer compatible with Windows 10, I request you to roll back windows 10 to its previous build if possible from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758308

Please check this link out also: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-recover-a-prev...

If this does not do the trick for you, please perform a system recovery to factory defaults.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again, when the problem showed, I could not get into windows.  Therefore, I could not do any of the roll back techniques in those links you provided.

After three days of working normally, it is back to going to the auto repair mode and locking up on the keyboard layout selection screen. . . I consider it nothing short of lucky grace that it did boot up normally a couple of times and allow me to backup to the most recent date.

Thanks for the attempts to help, but none of those published options is possible because I can't get to windows in the first place.  That's the whole problem. . . 

At this point, I'm just going to buy a new computer and write this off as a defeat by the pace of technology outstripping compatibility.

HP Recommended

@CB_Coldwater, It's great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you are unable to boot into BIOS or F2 from your PC.

Have you tried plugging in the keyboard and mouse to a different USB port and check it works fine?

Also, try with a different USB keyboard and mouse.

If you are still unable to boot into BIOS. Try reseating the memory and hard drive on your PC and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps it certainly seems to be a hardware issue with your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.