Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 450-120d (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bios Update No Boot After

BIOS Update

Hi! i recently updated my BIOS, and after the update it doesn’t boot. I tried removing the CMOS Battery and i can’t seem to find the CMOS Jumper for Clear CMOS (Motherboard is IPMB7-MP HP Desktop) - I also tried to boot it into Bios Reset mode by holding Windows Key + B and turning it on while pressing both keys. But no boot to BIOS Reset while having a USB plugged in with a Bios File of the motherboard. But it beeps 8 times but still no sign of post.

Am i missing something? Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @KaiKaiG 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Where did this BIOS update come from (Windows Update or HP Support Assistant)? 

The latest BIOS update (sp87681.exe) I could find for your PC/MB is at this Link. This BIOS update is from 2018.

I tried to make a USB BIOS Recovery drive with this update. It's too old, it did not work.

You may have to have a local PC Tech program the BIOS with a Serial ISP Programmer (using sp87681.exe) if steps at this HP Site don't help.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi! thanks for the helping me out.

I updated it with the HP Support Assistant. and continued to update with the sp87681.exe file.

After it corrupted the bios. I’ll give this as a last resort that you suggested i go to a local PC Tech to program the BIOS with a Serial ISP Programmer. I did the steps with the HP Site that you sent. I did the CMOS Battery Removal and the motherboard doesn’t seem also to have a CMOS Clear. Any help to boot into recovery bios or program the bios myself?

HP Recommended

Hi @KaiKaiG 

My pleasure.

Inspect your MB closely to see if you can find the MB name or MB SSID silkscreened into the MB somewhere.

It would be good to verify this component to ensure you are using the correct BIOS update.

HP sometimes uses different MBs in some PCs. This can muddy the water.

It is possible the HP Support Assistant BIOS update offered to you is incorrect. I have seen this happen before. There should be safeguards in place to prevent an incorrect BIOS update. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.