Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy H8-1534
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 automatically did update 1607 (KB3176936) about 6 days ago on my wife's pc (HP Envy H8-1534). Since then I have not been able to start up the pc the first time I power it up.

When I hit the power button the monitor comes on with the HP logo on black screen as normal but the loading icon (spinning dots) does not start up. The fans start up but there is no activity on the tower in the way of any blinking lights or beeping sounds. If I power off the pc using the power button, wait about 10 seconds and power on again, the pc will start up as normal. So far for the past 6 days it has required this 2nd attempt to startup the pc every time. It almost seems like there is no power going to the system except for the fans in this first startup attempt.

I have run a Start-Up test by pushing the F2 key with no issues found. I have disabled SATA Power Management in the BIOS. I have run Windows Startup Repair with no results. Below is the results from the txt file.

I have been researching every possibility. I am afraid that this could start getting worse. All help will be appreciated.

Name: Target OS test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code =  0x0
Time taken = 265 ms
Test Performed:
---------------------------
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 2391 ms
Test Performed:
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 63 ms
Test Performed:
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms
Test Performed:
Name: Event log diagnosis
Time taken = 62 ms
Test Performed:
Name: Internal state check
Time taken = 0 ms
Test Performed:
Name: Boot status test
Time taken = 31 ms
Root cause found:
Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

DBHPENVY,

I turned off Fast Startup on the pc and so far it has started first try twice. I will let you know how it does after a few more days of testing.

I read about what it does and it makes perfect sense how it could affect our pc's in this manner. Go to this link and read about it and see if it might help you out . I thought I had turned Fast Startup off already but after an update it might have gotten turned back on.

Here is the link:   http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem. Unplugged main power, held down power button for 20 seconds. Plugged back in and tried to restart. Still have the same problem.

HP Recommended

I have hunted everywhere to find something on this. It is very strange that the first power up just starts the video and fans, then nothing. Then the second time you power up everything is fine. I can't even find this type of problem in any of my searches.

I am just curious, did yours start doing this after the (KB3176936) update?

I have been woundering if a BIOS reset would fix this or if I would be messing something else up by doing that.

Mybe someone with a lot more knowledge than I have will chime in here and give us something to go on.

HP Recommended

I worked directly with Microsoft Support today. Did complete checksum scan. No errors. Reloaded the entire Win 10 update. Disables all start tasks. Still have the problem. I'm going to continue to pursue with them. I have a case#.

HP Recommended

That's good. Please respond her if you would and let me know how it works out and what the fix is. I tried on  the Microsoft Community with no luck.

Good Luck!!

HP Recommended

DBHPENVY,

I turned off Fast Startup on the pc and so far it has started first try twice. I will let you know how it does after a few more days of testing.

I read about what it does and it makes perfect sense how it could affect our pc's in this manner. Go to this link and read about it and see if it might help you out . I thought I had turned Fast Startup off already but after an update it might have gotten turned back on.

Here is the link:   http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

HP Recommended

DBHPENVY ,

After numerous start ups, I am calling it fixed by disabling Fast Startup. Let me know how you made out. I am curious if Microsoft comes out with something different.

HP Recommended
I have the same problem. After the Window 10 anniversary update. When I first turn it on it goes to the same screen without the spinning dots though. So I power off and on then it loads. I might check that solution out to see if it works with my h8-1214.
HP Recommended

I have been having the same issue with my computer.  I wind up having to start using the power button and escape or F11 to start it up.  After that, I have no issues until the next update, and then I have to go through the same thing.  Its really weird and VERY annoying.  The odd thing is, I got an HP laptop at the same time as my desktop also running Windows 10 that has pretty much the same updates, but does not have this problem.  I also have run numeous troubleshooting and diagnostics methods without detecting any problems.

I will try to verify I have this fast startup thing turned off, and see if it works for the next update.  Good luck everyone

HP Recommended

When I initially ran into this problem I to had another HP desktop and an Acer laptop running Windows 10 on each. I had no problems on those computers. Like you, I ran all sorts of checks, see my original post, with no good results. Once I turned Fast Startup off I have not had a single problem with startup.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.