Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1227c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

BIOS is not accepting the security password that I have set up to enter to access BIOS settings. I have removed the battery to the motherboard overnight, and repeatedly switched the CLR CMOS jumpers from normal to clear position, then booted, then returned them to the normal position. None of these clear the BIOS security password - I get three tries, then the PC boots to windows. There is no problem accessing windows, which works normally - I just can't clear the BIOS security password. I tried recovering the password and deleting CMOS settings using MS-DOS programs, which was unsuccessful. I am out of ideas. Halp! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to move the CLR/PSWD jumper.

See the link below, under clearing the password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p7-1200-Desktop-PC-series/5187022/model/5231630/docu...

Now, this is important...the instructions you see as written are incorrect. 

I reported this to HP a few months ago, and they were supposed to update the support pages for PC's with this motherboard.

I have revised the instructions so that you will actually be able to clear the BIOS P/W.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3.
  3. Plug in the power cord, and turn on the computer.  The BIOS password should now be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord
  5. Move the jumper back to default (pins 1-2).
  6. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to move the CLR/PSWD jumper.

See the link below, under clearing the password settings.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p7-1200-Desktop-PC-series/5187022/model/5231630/docu...

Now, this is important...the instructions you see as written are incorrect. 

I reported this to HP a few months ago, and they were supposed to update the support pages for PC's with this motherboard.

I have revised the instructions so that you will actually be able to clear the BIOS P/W.

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3.
  3. Plug in the power cord, and turn on the computer.  The BIOS password should now be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord
  5. Move the jumper back to default (pins 1-2).
  6. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, your solution did work. In the link it never states where the clr/PSWD jumper is: it is to the right of the CMOS jumper, buried under some cables. I had overlooked it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.