Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-F269
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I flashed my bios to try to fix a problem with the display backlight.  I think I flashed the wrong file (i.e. for a different model computer), and now my computer will not recognise any boot media. 

So I am trying to recover using the method posted here

My question is, I got the most recent bios flash from the HP support webpage, but it is a .exe file (sp70486.exe).  The recovery method requires the actual ROM.  How can I either get the ROM out of the .exe file, or where can I download the ROM?

PS the Pavilion 23-F269 has a AAHD3-AT motherboard.

Or should I just buy a new BIOS chip from ebay?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi

I downloaded sp70486.exe and opened it with 7 zip. 3 files inside.

The batch file called 'flash.bat' contains the following.

mountvol z: /s
del z:\efi\hp\bios\current\*.bin
copy .\AK2_8011.bin z:\efi\hp\bios\current
mountvol z: /d
safuwin AK2_8011.bin /p /b /n /r /k /reboot

Also in the zip file are 2 files "safuwin.exe" and "AK2_8011.bin", so I copied the .bin into another directory so it could be used elsewhere.

I hope this helps, obviously I cant run or attach such files here, but I believe you can achieve what you want quite easily.

=======================================================================

Details

This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOSUpdate (ROM Family 2AF8) for the supported desktop models andsupported operating systems.

Details:-  This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 2AF8) for supported models running a supported operating system 

File name: sp70486.exe   Release details  Released: Jan 26, 2015  Version 80.11 Rev.A

Fix and enhancements

Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to these updated BIOS versions.
** After this BIOS update has been installed, previous BIOS versions cannot be reinstalled.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.