Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF that will power on and the power light is lit, but won't POST. It was working just fine until I rebooted it. The fans also begin to ramp up to full speed within a few minutes. Intel vPro was also working fully until I cleared the CMOS by pulling the battery.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The motherboard was faulty and was replaced under warranty. I had previously tried your steps but they did not work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Hello Goldfish 64, First are seeing blinking or flashing lights? If so are they a specific color and how many time do they blink or flash? Have you tried resetting the CMOS: Clearing and Resetting the CMOS The computer’s configuration memory (CMOS) stores information about the computer’s configuration. The CMOS button resets CMOS but does not clear the power-on and setup passwords. Clearing CMOS will clear the Active Management Technology (AMT) settings in the Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx), including the password. The password will default to “admin” and will need to be reset. The AMT settings will also need to be reset. To access the MEBx, press Ctrl+P during POST. 1.Turn off the computer and any external devices, and disconnect the power cord from the power outlet. 2.Disconnect the keyboard, monitor, and any other external equipment connected to the computer. To reduce the risk of personal injury from electrical shock and/or hot surfaces, be sure to disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet, and allow the internal system components to cool before touching. When the computer is plugged in, the power supply always has voltage applied to the system board even when the unit is turned off. Failure to disconnect the power cord can result in damage to the system. Static electricity can damage the electronic components of the computer or optional equipment. Before beginning these procedures, ensure that you are discharged of static electricity by briefly touching a grounded metal object. See the Safety & Regulatory Information guide for more information. 3.Remove the computer cover or access panel. Pushing the CMOS button will reset CMOS values to factory defaults. It is important to back up the computer CMOS settings before resetting them in case they are needed later. Back up is easily done through Computer Setup. See the Computer Setup (F10) Utility Guide for information on backing up the CMOS settings. 4.Locate, press, and hold the CMOS button in for five seconds. Make sure you have disconnected the AC power cord from the wall outlet. The CMOS button will not clear CMOS if the power cord is connected. For assistance locating the CMOS button and other system board components, see the Illustrated Parts & Service Map (IPSM) for that particular system. 5.Replace the computer cover or access panel. 6.Reconnect the external devices. 7.Plug in the computer and turn on power. You will receive POST error messages after clearing CMOS and rebooting advising you that configuration changes have occurred. Use Computer Setup to reset any special system setups along with the date and time. Hopefully this helps! Sincerely, Wendy_R
I am an HP Employee.
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping! .
HP Recommended

The motherboard was faulty and was replaced under warranty. I had previously tried your steps but they did not work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.