Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion M9515y Desktop using Vista 64 bit.

My neighbor boy thought he was shutting down my computer but instead hit the button that retains everything in memory but goes into sleep mode. I've never used this before and always turn it off using the Shut Down command on the Start Menu.
When I moved the mouse or hit the enter on my keyboard, nothing would come up on the screen. I finally gave up and shut everything down using the power button on my tower. Now my power button on the tower will turn on the fans and my external HD but not boot my computer. The single green light is on in the back of the tower, but my power button no longer glows purple even when the fans etc. are on.

HELP!  I'm a 73 year old woman who is very computer savy but unable to solve this.I really need my computer as I'm working on our 55 year HS reunion book and everything is stored on the Desktop and not on this laptop including Pagemaker 7 which I use. I will appreciate your help VERY much!!!

alta

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey crhugs

try doing this.

1. Un-plug the PC from the wall (power cord)

2. Push the power button on the PC (drains the power from the capacitors, so RAM is forced to clear)

3. make sure the light on the back of PC (Power supply) is off.

4. plug the system back in

5. try turning it on.

good luck

bill

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
hahahah....i have the same problem as you maam..evry time my p6-2018l desktop goin to sleep there no way to turn it back on...i try olredi tried the sulotion of ibfrenchy but no luck,sometimes i just leave my pc all day disable the sleep mode coz if not my pc wont work,even thoug i shut down my pc it wont work when i turn it on,the hdd ligth wont blink,i must wait for an hour or two to completely work again...ope you help us guys...thanks!!
HP Recommended

.My computer is a Pavilion Elite model no m9457c I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista.  Like the former post I have been unable to restart after letting the computer go to sleep.  I must shut it down twice and restart it.  The second restart I can delete the the saved data and it will let me continue with a normal start.  I have had to set it so it won't go tosleep.  I also have to turnthe power on for 20 minutes in the morning befor the computer will turn on.  The time the power has to be on has gotten longer and longer.  Any answers out there?

Fred

HP Recommended

hey guys,

Sleep and Hibernate issues can be caused by a lot of different things. Here are some documents that might help.

but the bottom line - external devices, software and updates that have been added to your computer over time may cause the PC to not be able to come out of sleep or hibernate efficiently. To test what is causing this can be a long process. Basically a process of elimination, and before you start any troubleshooting it is really important to back up your data.

After that, disconnect any external devices (that's the easiest place to start) and see fi there is any change. I won't list everything to disconnect, but instead list what should be connected. Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor and Power. Disconnect EVERYTHING else.

From there... is it a process of removing software, possibly recovering the system, and starting from scratch. If you still have the same issues after a recovery it could be a hardware failure, Hard drive, Optical drive, RAM, Processor, motherboard, video card, etc.

So there really isn't a FIX for this, it is going to be, "find what is causing it, and don't do that anymore" process.

good luck

bill

Document links.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01853693

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01837578

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
Thank you ibfrenchy for your help.
HP Recommended

My computer since at early stages started slowing down to load the programmes. Now it takes ages to do it. How can i remove any boot up programmes please. 

How do i do a recovery process.?

My son plays games with the computer and is it one of the reasons. 

How do i do a regular clean up please.

thanks

HP Recommended

After downloading drivers for computer backup, monitor when into deep sleep, can't reebot since monitor is in deep sleep.

please help.  Computer HP windows7

HP Recommended
After downloading drivers for backup, computer when into deep sleep. can reboot since monitor is off
HP Recommended

I was having about the same issue. Tried suggestions listed in forums but nothing seem to work.  This is what I did to finally get it back up after 2 mos... Unplug everything,, removed battery for 24 hours,   removed ram for 30 mins. replace battery and ram, only plug in keyboard, mouse & monitor... 1st try plug in usb external hard drive then turn on. it may or may not work... it if don't work turn off and then insert a flash drive with anything on it. Turn back on system came up. before doing anything else go to system/power management and uncheck Reltek turn off option... Run scan and updates. I hope this helps someone cause even techs I know couldn"t do anything. Just messing with it and found what worked for me....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.