Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP all in one 24 g061a
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi I have not had my pc for very long and it has started turning itself completely off after periods of inactivity when it should just be sleeping.  I have brushed and vacuumed around the vents but would be suprised it there was a problem with dust.   Other than this it runs well and am pretty happy with it if anyone can assist or tell me what to do - not particularly computer savvy so any answers need to be simple 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DJC17

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

I understand the computer isn't waking up from sleep mode rather seems as though the PC has shut down,
Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps that should help resolve the issue,

Please follow the below steps:

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly.

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode:

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.
  2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.
  3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.
  2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.
  3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks)

For more steps, please click here

Click here to watch this YouTube video to disable the hybrid sleep.

Keep me posted for further assistance,

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @DJC17 - Hope you are well:)

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! I read your post about the sleep mode issue that you are facing. I am happy to look into this issue for you 🙂

Let’s try and restore the “Power options” to try and fix this issue. Follow the steps below:

• Go to “Control panel” – Change the “View by” (top right corner) to “Small icons”.
  • Select “”Power options”.
  • Make sure the power plan selected is “Balanced (recommended)” – Select “Change plan settings”.
  • Select the options which say “Restore default settings for this plan”.
  • That should help. But if you still face an issue, turn off the computer sleep mode and check.

I will watch for your reply. Good luck!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help Dvortex I did as you suggested.  Unfortunately when I got home from work the computer was off, and again this morning so it has not resolved the issue.  Will it still do updates if it is switched off is my biggest concern, otherwise I guess I could live with it.

HP Recommended

@DJC17

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

I understand the computer isn't waking up from sleep mode rather seems as though the PC has shut down,
Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps that should help resolve the issue,

Please follow the below steps:

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly.

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode:

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.
  2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.
  3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.
  2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.
  3. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks)

For more steps, please click here

Click here to watch this YouTube video to disable the hybrid sleep.

Keep me posted for further assistance,

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. I have followed the steps you outlined and didn't need to make any changes as everything was checked. The computer will wake up from sleep if I am here but when left overnight it closes completely down and the power light is off.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions with my problem.  Touch wood, the problem seems to be fixed and the computer was still on this morning and after work so YAY...

HP Recommended

@DJC17

You're welcome. 🙂

I'm glad the issue has been fixed. I must say that technical solutions can only be provided by us. But it was you who implemented the steps to perfection. All the best! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.