Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq DC5000
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi all, Pulled out an oldie but a goodie computer (HP Compaq DC5000) from the closet that has always run well for me and setting it up for my wife so she can pick up email and general browsing. Installed XP and is running fine.

My question is at switch-on the inital screen that allows you to enter set-up sits there for nearly half a minute.  It does nothing then after over 20 seconds it suddenly flashes "Press any key to ......" for quarter of a second (not really long enough to read it) then it starts windows. I don't remember this happening before so I thought I would ask the question to see if this is normal.

The BIOS being used is INVENT v 1.5

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Estam

Maybe someone else here who is still using XP can answer this better than me ... but my guess is what you're seeing is normal.

My HP laptop puts up a similar text message every time it boots and after about 10 seconds (presuming I don't press the Esc key) it will continue to the Windows login screen.

It's probably just a prompt to allow you to enter setup mode before Windows boots.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks and I think this is pre shaking hands with the o/s.

Sits there for 20 seconds showing the Invent screen and then suddenly flashes "Press F10 etc" and before you can do anything it imediately starts windows.

Thought it might be looking for another boot option and the C:/ was low on the list.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.