Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23
The HDD on my pavilion 23 failed so I purchased a new one through a computer repair shop and was told all I needed to do was install it. Upon restarting it after replacing the HDD I got an error reading "no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed." do I need to order a boot disk? If so how can I and how much will it cost?
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Thomas

The new HDD has no operating system. That is why you are seeing that error message.

You have to install the HP Factory operating system or transfer an image of your current operating system from external backup device to the new HDD.

An image transfer is the best way to go as you will only lose data subsequent to the date the image was created.

A fresh install means you start all over again. 

Do you have a current image on external media or an HP Recovery disc/USB set?

Grzy

HP Recommended
I do not have either one of those options. Can I create an image on external media if I reinstall the original HDD? If so how can i do it and if not how can I get ahold of the hp recovery disc/USB set? Thanks for your help!
HP Recommended

Hi Thomas

You are welcome.

Which operating system do you have?

Can you still use the original HDD or did it die? If the PC is stable when the factory drive is installed it may be possible to create an image and a bootable rescue USB stick. The image, even if you created it offline, may be corrupt if the original HDD is unusable.

HP usually sells recovery discs or a USB recovery drive. You need to provide a specific model only, (no serial number ) to check for HP Recovery media, Pavilion 23 is too general.

Grzy

HP Recommended
The original HDD still works it just says imminent failure when you turn it on. I do not know what operating system I have. I believe it has windows 8 right now and the problem occurred when we tried to update to Windows 10. Also my model number is 23-b320
HP Recommended

Thomas

You can order HP Recovery media here. Or see here if the first link does not load correctly. Expand "Order Recovery Media" to see options.

Since the HDD started acting up after a bad Windows 10 upgrade you might try checking the original HDD using Microsoft's System File Checker.  You may just have some corrupt system files after reverting back to Windows 8.1.

Creating a system image is a complex project with various options available.

You can use the built in tool in Windows 8.1. This "How To" article gives a pretty good  step by step guide. Plese read the link on creating a USB Recovery drive for booting to the recovery environment to begin an image restoration.

You can use free third party imaging programs or purchase full featured imaging programs. Google "Free Backup Software" for options.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.