Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My question is: Can my system, described below, boot to an SSD installed using a PCIe card? My goal is to have a clean Windows 10 operation system on an SSD.

Here are the details.

-system model: HP Compaq elite 8300 SFF

-system bios: HP K01 v02.86 (HP website shows no further upgrade)

-running: Windows 10 pro x64 on internal SATA hard drive (healthy status)

-NEWLY INSTALLED SSD: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,400 MB/s - WDS100T2B0C

-INSTALLED ON:  M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter, M.2 NVME SSD to PCI-e 3.0 x 4 Host Controller Expansion Card, Supports 2280, 2260, 2242, 2230 Solid State Drives

-ADAPTER plugged into mother board.

*When I boot my system to the internal SATA drive, the WD SSD is viewable in Windows Explorer, device manager, etc and from the WD Dashboard.

*Using Microsoft utilities, I have installed a clean copy of Windows 10 on the WD SSD. 

*Next, shut down. Unplug internal SATA. Boot into BIOS and set BOOT ORDER to UEFI, USB HARD DRIVE.

*Power up system: WILL NOT BOOT

I have tried booting with all BIOS options (listed below) and still WILL NOT BOOT.

USB Floppy/CD

Legacy boot sources

-USB FLOPPY/CD

-HARD DRIVE

hard drive

SATA0 

-NETWORK CONTROLLER (IBA GE SLOT 00C8 v1381)

Any suggestions? It appears that the BIOS have no further updates. Seems kinda stuck here. My goal is to have a clean Windows 10 operation system on an SSD before that clunking SATA drive dies! Sounds like a wagon with a wheel ready to come off! like a FN coffee grinder!

Please help!

thanks

Tim Goodman

Geneva NY

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Take it easy and make it easy!

Get a WIN 10 bootstick with Media Creation Tool. (option for a different computer)

Shut down your PC.

Remove all disks

Add the new SSD to Sata Port 0 or 1 and insert Boot Stick

Power On enter to BIOS and change to UEFI

Boot (F9) select USB

Run Installation

When ready connect to internet and within some minutes your WIN will be activated.

If you need special drivers you can extract them from your old HDD

Shut down  and insert everything you removed before.

Enjoy  😀

HP Recommended

How do you  Add the new SSD to Sata Port 0 or 1 ?

I have the SSD connected through a PCIe card. SSD plugs into PCIe. PCIe plugs into mother board

STUDIO2587_0-1633555029380.jpeg

STUDIO2587_1-1633555109725.jpeg

HP Recommended

That's a NVMe-Drive. Probably your mainboard doesn't support to boot from a PCIe-Slot.

@STUDIO2587 wrote:

My goal is to have a clean Windows 10 operation system on an SSD before that clunking SATA drive dies! Sounds like a wagon with a wheel ready to come off! like a FN coffee grinder!

You need a 2,5" SSD drive.

HP Recommended

yea, I’m coming to the same conclusion. I have gone through all the bios settings, one at a time and I still get error messages.

bios manufacturers should provide updates but like lots of older stuff, it got dropped.

To bad because as I read online, PCIe/SSD are much faster than SATA/SSD. That said, SATA/SSD much faster than SATA. I believe all 2.5” internal are SATA/SSD, Guess thats ok. Shame cause otherwise its a good solid machine, i5 with 16GB RAM. 

I think WD owes me an exchange on this!  Or HP, cause of their **bleep**ty bios.

HP Recommended

Have you tried booing from clover? Google clover boot loader. It should let you get around HPs limitation. We'll I hope it does because I just purchased your same setup.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.