No dvd/cd rom device in the Device Manager (1605 Views)
Honor Student
Novice2b
Message 1 of 2 (1,605 Views)

No dvd/cd rom device in the Device Manager

It seems my dvd/cd rom device can not be found and it is not showing in my Device Manager.  My E:/ drive is no longer showing.  I don't know what happened, on minute it was working and the next nothing.  Can some one help me with a solution before I take the computer to the shop and pay crazy money for something I could have done myself.  Thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (1,598 Views)

Re: No dvd/cd rom device in the Device Manager

Hi,

First of all tap away at f10 as you start the PC to enter the system bios.  Check that the CD/DVD drive is showing up as a bootable device.  If it is, try the following:

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this.  Again, do not delete drivers if asked.  Reboot the PC and see if the drive is now showing in Device Manager.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation