Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-217c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone upgraded the power supply on this machine? The new GPU I want says it requires 400w and this one only has 300w.  Also, if I ignored that, this unit doesn't seem to have any extra power connectors that I can see anyways. 

Anyone have a suggestion of a power supply meeting these requirements?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks, I was actually considering that one. Reevaluated my needs and I'm going to with the CX500. Appreciate the feedback.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am going to recommend a Corsair CX600 watt based on 4 points.

1) Although the CX 430 is $20, the CX600 is only $37.

2) Ideal efficiency levels are at 20-100% load.

3) Thermals are better with a PSU running at lower levels.

4) Sustained wattage:  This is the operational wattage, not the peak listed.  The original 300W could only sustain 265W.  Such is the norm for the 430W and 600W.  Their respective sustained will be less than listed.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
Thanks, I was actually considering that one. Reevaluated my needs and I'm going to with the CX500. Appreciate the feedback.
HP Recommended

Sorry, I was re-typing as you replied. I did some pricing, and found the CX500 was not on sale.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
Cx600 is on the way!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.