Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey!
I would like to know can I add an NVMe SSD to my computer using a PCI-E x 1 adapter ?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thats the kind of adapter im looking for but someone said that U need atleast PCI-E x 4 to get full potential from NVMe SSD...

HP Recommended

@Nikip --  someone said that U need at least PCI-E x4 

You should get back to that person, for a technical of why that is a correct statement, if it really is true.

I never believe everything that I read on the Internet.  🙂

HP Recommended

Yeah well, why should I believe you lol?

HP Recommended

@Nikip -- Yeah well, why should I believe you lol?

You should not.

I could be inebriated;  'tis the season for rum-and-egg-nog.

YMMV -- Your Mileage May Vary.

Caveat Emptor -- Buyer Beware.

Sometimes, free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

The only mistake I ever made was once thinking that I had made a mistake.

The only ways out of a marriage are death or a divorce. Pick the one that is not a mistake.

LOL

HP Recommended

And can U boot windows from an Pci e ssd? 

Because my friend got the Pci-e x 16 adapter and Nvme ssd and we couldnt even install Windows 10 to it 😮

HP Recommended

@Nikip -- your computer has a socket for an M.2 SSD directly on the motherboard, which means that you do not need to have a PCI-e adapter card to "adapt" the M.2 SSD to your computer.  So, your computer should be able to boot from the M.2 that you can connect directly to the motherboard.

First generation SSD are the USB-interface memory-sticks.

Second generation SSD are the M2 and the M.2 memory-sticks.

Third generation SSD are the NVME memory-sticks.

Each generation is faster than the preceding generation(s).

If your friend has an HP computer, encourage them to post their own issue to this discussion forum.

HP Recommended

Hp Compaq 8000 Elite SFF Does not have an m.2 socket.

HP Recommended

@Nikip -- my friend got the Pci-e x 16 adapter and Nvme ssd & we couldn't install Windows 10 to it

Which manufacturer and part-number for that x16 adapter?

Was your friend trying to use that adapter on their computer, or on your computer?

When your friend entered BIOS SETUP on their computer, was the device detected by the motherboard?

But, really, this discussion about your friend's computer should be pursued in a new discussion thread, so that this thread can focus on helping you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.