Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 580-023W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to add a SSD to my 580-023W as a secondary drive (for gaming purposes). I plan on keeping the everything else on the HDD. I ordered a Crucial BX500 240GB 2.5 inch SSD. I plugged in the SSD to the motherboard using a SATA 6 cable provided with the SSD and the extra SATA power supply cable from the PCU. I was able to get the system to recognize the drive and followed all the steps involved in setting up the new drive (disk management). I was able to successfully transfer and play a game from the SSD (which worked really well). However, when rebooting the PC, the monitor just goes to a black screen. I tried to troubleshoot with no luck. Upon removing the SSD from the PC, everything goes back to normal (pre SSD installation). Not sure where to go from here. Possibly BIOS boot priority problem possibly? Am I using the right power supply SATA cable? The SSD was plugged into the only available slot on the motherboard (labelled S1 I believe). Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ccarmody04,

You only transferred a game, not the OS, correct?

If you never entered the BIOS and messed with the settings, it should have used Disk0 (HD) as boot.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct, just a single game so far (somewhere around 80 GB).

HP Recommended

@ccarmody04 

RE-check the BOOT priority in the BIOS.  There are only 3 SATA data headers in a side by side pattern.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.