Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion Slimline s5000, less than 2 years old, practically caught fire this morning.  I turned it on, started it up, and within minutes smoke came out the back and this horrible burning smell filled the air.  I turned the PC off, and now it won't turn back on.  The green light does go on in the back when I connect it to the power supply, but it does not start at all.  I opened up the side of the tower, and something in there definitely "fried", although I can't see exactly what it is.  It reeks of melted plastic and ash inside.

Tower was kept on top of a table, completely out in the open.  So ventilation was more than adequate.  And, as late as last night, I still heard the fans going.  So, those were fine, as far as I know.  Motherboard looks OK too. 

This is the first time I have ever had to replace a PC in such a short time frame. And, I bought an HP assuming it was a "quality" product.  Boy, was I wrong  The darn thing didn't even last TWO YEARS! What a piece of junk!

Of course, HP support tells me it will probably cost a few hundred dollars to send it to them to fix.  And Geek Squad wants $149 just to look at it and diagnose the problem (plus whatever parts and additional labor it takes to fix it).  Something in there will need to be replaced, for sure.  So, I may as well go buy a new tower.  Which,  of course, will NOT be an HP. 

And let's not even get started on what a pain in the neck it was to get the hard drive out. so I can have Geek Squad retrieve my files.  I practically had to rip the thing apart and my hands are covered in cuts from trying to squeeze my hands in there.  HP - you really need to make a better product.  Because you just lost a customer! 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello JOBeans0817,

I am going to forward your thread to the appopriate team for review. No matter the age of the machine it shouldn't reach a point of smoking when turned on if it has been kept in good condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

I have a 25/26" HP Monitor that's maybe 2 years old. My husband turned it on the other night and it smelled of smoke and the monitor never came on. It won't work now??? It sits up on a table, in the same spot, with nothing around it. Is this typical of HP products??? Should we look at getting something different?? Not sure what to do with it. Seems like this shouldn't happen, especially not within 2 years!

HP Recommended

You had witnessed the magic smoke from a failed power supply. U can obtain used ones off ebay. http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=hp+s5000+power+supply&isNewKw=1&pgn=1&epp=24&cid=175673&cnm=Computer...

Hopefully it didn't take your motherboard and other components with.

HP Recommended

@CDChiro what's the model # of the monitor?

HP Recommended

Most likely the power supplie, like diehard said. its a pertty easy, fairly reasonable cost fix. 4 screws hold it in, all 4 are on the outside of the case. (wont tear your hands up too bad).. although i wouldnt buy this part from ebay personally.. it is one of the most importent peices of hardware in your system, in other words, dont go used. 

i'd try PC power and cooling they have made a top notch PSU for many years. however, unless you want to buy a new case as well, take notice of the size and make sure whatever you get will fit you slimline case.

and the last thing i'm going to say; being that i'm not employed by hp. this hardware trouble you are having is likley one of the most common problems computer users of EVERY brand face. power supplies die, its about as common as a blow out on your car's tries. its easy to hold HP responable since its their hardware. but had it been a dell.. compaq, custom build or otherwise the chances it would have happened sooner or later are likely very nearly the same. 

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion Slimline also started smelling of burning plastic.  As soon as I started smelling it..  I jumped up and unplugged everything because I didn't know what was burning.  I localized it to the computer and quickly opened it up and after disconnecting everything I localized the smell to the power supply.  I opened up the power supply and localized the burning to one of the inductors, actually the largest one in the power supply. My power supply model is:  PC8046.  Anyhow, it has a lot of dust in it, so I cleared the dust out and turned the power back on once everything cooled off.  Sure enough, it heated up again, started turning black, and the burning smell was back.  Luckily this didn't happen when I was out, because it would have caused a fire if left on.  For some reason, that inductor was frying!   The time was ten to 8:00pm and my local tech store closed at 8:00!  I ran down there, bought a new 450w power supply for $35.00, the stock one in my HP was 220w max,  and the HP has been running cool ever since.  

-Mike

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.