Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6500f
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion a6500f running Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'd like to add a second 500 Gb 7200 RPM hard drive to it as a slave drive.  Can I do this?  And if I can how do I know what dimensions the hard drive should have?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As your system is 8 years old, I would suggest these:

1) Clone the old drive to a new drive, either 500GB or 1TB.  Use that as your new system drive.  Modern Sata 600 drives are 6GB/sec with 64mb cache. It will have better performance than the older Sata 300 drives with 3GB/sec 32mb cache.

2) Your old school, as the term "slave" drive was a reference to the IDE/EIDE cabling system.

3) All you need is a standard WD or Seagate 3.5" 7200 RPM hard drive. Both offer a free Disc Wizard program to make the cloning process easier.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

As your system is 8 years old, I would suggest these:

1) Clone the old drive to a new drive, either 500GB or 1TB.  Use that as your new system drive.  Modern Sata 600 drives are 6GB/sec with 64mb cache. It will have better performance than the older Sata 300 drives with 3GB/sec 32mb cache.

2) Your old school, as the term "slave" drive was a reference to the IDE/EIDE cabling system.

3) All you need is a standard WD or Seagate 3.5" 7200 RPM hard drive. Both offer a free Disc Wizard program to make the cloning process easier.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.