Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1280t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I accidentally put the thermal paste on top of the motherboard. I assumed everything is fine and wiped it off with rubbing alcohol. Once I booted up my pc, my 2nd ram slot doesn't work with the pc beeping 5 times. Because of that, I had to resort to one ram slot instead of both of them. Before this incident happened, my pc was working well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the thermal paste is electrically conductive such as Artic Silver, yes it can short out motherboard components.

If it is not electrically conductive, it depends where you spilled it.

If it got inside the contacts where the memory goes, it might well be causing no contact where some of the memory contacts go.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the thermal paste is electrically conductive such as Artic Silver, yes it can short out motherboard components.

If it is not electrically conductive, it depends where you spilled it.

If it got inside the contacts where the memory goes, it might well be causing no contact where some of the memory contacts go.

HP Recommended

Greetings Tabbery,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

Adding to what Paul has stated:

Five beeps could indicate a possible memory problem.

HP recommends reseating the memory modules. HP then recommends possible system board failure if reseating RAM is negative.

Conductive TIM is destructive when it interacts with motherboard components.

Please indicate the TIM used.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.