Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-205t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 2560x1080 resolution monitor, but my computer only have VGA, DVI dual link and USB ports - so my current max resolution is only 1920x1080. It seems the only way to get the max resolution is to use an HDMI or a DP cable. Basically, is it possible to install an HDMI port in the back of my computer?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The port in question might not be the problem.  VGA is capable of high than 1920x1080 and so is DVI dual link.  It could be the graphics hardware that is installed.  It is not clear on the SUPPORT PAGE which configuration you might have.

If you have a GeForce card the Maximum Digital Resolution is Up to 2560x1600

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have an intel 4600, I initally asked them if there was some issue (the material that came with the monitorsaid it may not work if not updated, but I updated and it still didn't work, etc) and they told me the DVI wouldn't work. 

HP Recommended

OK, now I understand.  With the intel 4600, many other users are having the same issue.  When the HP Pavilion 500-205t does not have a video card, there are only VGA and DVI-D outputs.  The people that have had success with the higher resolutions on the Intel 4600 graphics did so with the Display Port output, which you do not have.  Some had success with the HDMI and a HDMI 1.4 cable but not for sure.

BTW: the Intel 4600 graphics come from the Intel CPU and getting the most out of that depends on the motherboard.

The Chipset specs are:

Maximum DVI Resolution 1920x1200
Maximum HDMI Resolution 4096x2160
Maximum DisplayPort Resolution 3840x2160

I suspect the most logical way to use that monitor would be to add a graphics card that has displayport outputs, however I did not find a low end card that would meet that need.  The GeForce GT 625 (1 GB) or Radeon R5 235 (1 GB) are listed as compatible cards but neither have a display port.  Some have HDMI but no guarantee on if they will support that monitor at the max resolution.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the info! 

Do you think something like this would work? Is it at least worth trying or will the same problem present?

HP Recommended

It would appear that could solve the problem.  I have not used or actually seen an adapter like that before, but that would/could be great.  Be aware of the limits, however.  From the explanation on the linked page:

• Does not support conversion to dual-link DVI.
  • If converting to HDMI, a 4K-compatible "active" adapter such as the Plugable DP-HDMI adapter must be used. Passive adapters and (even some active adapters) will limit output to 1920x1080.
  • DisplayPort MST daisy-chaining not supported.
  • Not recommended for gaming.
  • Does not support HDCP, and will not allow for playback of encrypted Bluray disks or copy-protected content.

Report back with the results.  I am most anxious to hear if that works as advertised.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The adapter worked! INstalled the driver, rebooted, plugged it in and my monitor worked. Thanks for responding to my question!

HP Recommended

Glad it worked and thanks for the report back.  A new approach that is now available.

I'm not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.