Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP HPE h9-1150 Phoenix Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As stated in the title, Can you make a Windows 8 BIOS update while on a Windows 10 OS?

I have a h9-1150 Phoenix Desktop and am trying to install a new GTX970 GPU. There are no BIOS updates for Windows 10 at this time but there is an update from my current 7.07 BIOS for Windows 8 OS. Can I make that Windows 8 update safely?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Normally the flasher will check to verify the OS but I cannot tell on that one.  It does have the ROM file separated out so even if it does check the OS you can always extract the BIOS file and flash from DOS.  I would try it first in windows.  It will tell you if there is a check in place.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Normally the flasher will check to verify the OS but I cannot tell on that one.  It does have the ROM file separated out so even if it does check the OS you can always extract the BIOS file and flash from DOS.  I would try it first in windows.  It will tell you if there is a check in place.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the help! I needed to do a BIOS update and that fixed the issue. The Winodws 8 BIOs updates fine on Windows 10 if anyone else has a h9-1150 and has similar upgrade issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.