Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen Gaming PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
More than a year ago, I bought the HP Omen Gaming PC (Model Number:880-029) and I like it except for the case design. So recently, I decided to upgrade the computer's case. After upgrading it, the USB ports on the new case/in front or top of the case stopped working. This is what it said when I tried to plug something into the not working ports: Power Surge on the USB port, Unknown USB device needs more power than port can supplyThe USB ports that are on top of the motherboard/behind the computer are fine, they work. At first, I thought the USB ports are not working because my power supply doesn't have enough power or I have a trash motherboard but then I realized, all the USB ports on my old/original computer case work properly so I guess the motherboard and the power supply are not the problems. I tried contacting the Microsoft support, they told me to troubleshoot my devices, uninstalling and upgrading my USB controllers but none of them work. I don't know what else I can do.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Without the model number of the computer, it will be generic help.  Assuming the new case has USB port headers that plug into the motherboard, are you certain that you installed the front ports in the same plug on the motherboard as the original? Also, if the new case uses something other than an all-in-one plug, are the leads on the correct pins?  The message "Power Surge on the USB port, Unknown USB device needs more power than port can supply." is suspect that the ports are not wired properly.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, here is the model number if you can tell more about where the power surge is coming from. Model Number:880-029

HP Recommended

Ok.  The support page for the PC is here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05505501

and the motherboard support page is here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05502869

If you click on the support page for the PC and click on the "Tampa" name it will show the motherboard.  You will notice the RED block right under the support post mounting hole, lower right corner. Now open the second link in this posting.  It shows the motherboard and identifies the RED block as the "Front USB 3.0" ports.  Assuming that to be where you have connected the front ports from the case wiring.  Please not - if the case does not identify the front ports as USB 3.0, then that can be a source for problems, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.