Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6000 series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am installing a new Seagate 1 TB HDD in a Pavilion P6620F.  Do I have to clone the new HDD or simply run  the recovery disks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This all depends on what your intentions are.

Are you replacing the original disk or just adding storage space?

The simplest method would be to clone the current hard disk to the new one, if replacing the original hard disk. Install the cloned disk in the same place where the orignal one was and with the very same connectors.  Boot up the PC and all should be as it was before,  except that  it will be on a new hard disk.

If adding storage a drive for additional storage capacity,  It is simply a matter of conecting a sata conector between the hard disk and an unused sata header and connecting a power connector to the hard disk.

Once that is done, power on the PC and log into Windows.

Use Windows Explorer to create up to four partitions and then format the partitions.  I am unware of just how much space exists in the mid ATX case for additional disks.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The simplest method would be to clone the current hard disk to the new one, if replacing the original hard disk. Install the cloned disk in the same place where the orignal one was and with the very same connectors.  Boot up the PC and all should be as it was before,  except that  it will be on a new hard disk.

If adding storage a drive for additional storage capacity,  It is simply a matter of conecting a sata conector between the hard disk and an unused sata header and connecting a power connector to the hard disk.

Use Windows Explorer to create up to four partitions and then format the partitions.  I am unware of just how much space exists in the mid ATX case for additional disks.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Thank you so much for your input, Erico.  Actually I am replacing the original HDD as it is giving me problems.  I could

wipe the drive clean and bring it back to factory specs with my recovery disks and it would run great; however, after rebooting the next day, it ran like a snail, perhaps slower than a snail.

After trying the recovery three times, I gave up and decided to replace the HDD.  Thank you again for the help, Erico.  I knew deep in my heart that I would have to clone; I was just looking for the easy way out by just using the recovery disks. By the way, my case will hold at least two HDDs or three if I used an expansion bay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.