Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This evening while my husband was on the computer we had a power outage. We have a HP Pavilion p6110yd with Windows 7. It was plugged into a surge protector, however when my husband went to turn it back on nothing happen. On the back of the tower just under the socket for where the power cord connects there the a green light thats flashing rapidly. What down this mean? Can we get the computer back?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

What happened due to sudden power outage, the power supply suffered from sudden burst of current or suddenly the current got lower than it's threshold. If this happens the motherboard will tell the PSU to go to safe mod send a signal to user by flashing LED.

What you do is unplugged the power cord of the unit for about 30 mins., then re-plugged again and see if the PC is working.  Btw, be sure to reset the surge protector before plugging in the power cord from the unit.  Usually there is a reset button on surge protector outlets on it's side.  If none, just totally unplugged  the connector from the outlet.

If the instruction above doesn't work, better call to send an HP technician to check it.

I work for HP & just trying to help...
* Click on White Kudos "Thumbs Up" to say thanks.
** Mark 'Accept As Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

The green led flashing means that you need to reset the PSU. Once you reset the PSU your PC should start up normally

Watch the video on this HP document to learn how to reset the PSU.. 

You don't need a technician to reset the PSU for you. As seen in the video and instructions, it is a simple thing to do. 

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Lefpt it unplugged overnight and unfortunately it didn't come back to life. What the number for an HP tech?

HP Recommended

If I reset it don't I loss all the content on my hard drive?

HP Recommended
No. You won't lose any data by resetting the PSU.

The sole purpose of a PSU reset is to return the power supply to normal operating condition. 🙂

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The phone number for HP Technical Support is 1-800-474-6836.

Todd

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi tagertale,

I wouldn't call HP just yet.

Erico gave you the right advice.  You have a power supply issue. You should troubleshoot the powersupply first to make sure it either works or not. If it no longer works, you'll have to replace it whether you call HP or not. And since you are out of warranty (I'm guessing based on the age of your PC), you'll not be able to get HP to do this for free.

That document that Erico linked you to will help with troubleshooting the power supply issue. When he said to "reset" the PSU, all that really means is to move the voltage selecter on the PSU from one setting to another. This is fairly simple to do, and if it works, your PC will be happy again.

For reference, here is the document Erico linked before: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph06788

And if your power supply needs to be replaced, here is a document/video that shows how to change it in your PC:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684432

And for more education on the topic of computers that won't start, here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0mKux2T2DU

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I know tbis sounds simple but after unplugging it pres doewn on the power butten for like 5 seconds then try plugging it directly into the wall.good luck. Is it still under warenty

HP Recommended

Your suggestion worked except I had to unplug everything from my desktop. All cords including the power cord. Then I pushed power button in for 10 seconds. Then plugged in power cord only and pushed power button and my PC powered up.  Thanks for advice.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.