Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HPPhoenixctrl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm new to the forum and have just received my new Envy PHOENIX 860-180st customized with the following:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel core i7-6700 4.0 GHz

16 GB RAM

512GB SSD

GeForce GTX 960 2GB

No secondary drives (I store all data on a NAS)

From several webpages featuring the front panel LED lighting, I understood that the 860 series provided a method to customize these lights.  I also believe I read that the 850 series could only turn on/off.  However, I can't locate ANY documentation regarding the LED lights.  After hours of researching online, I now only have an interest to shut them off and lower my electric bill.  HP has not impressed me with this marketable "feature".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is an application called HP Phoenix Lighting (or LED) Control which is used to control the LEDS.

I discovered it in an older thread while perusing the topic.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Missing-software-HP-Envy-Phoenix...

Check in the Control Panel or type it into the search box on the systray near the Windows symbol. There might even be an icon that represents the lighting control in the systray. My last HP product loan Omen 15 had an app called HP Omen Control, which allowed for control of groups of the keyboard backlighting. It allowed the owner to make custom color changes of the groups of keys. 

If it needs reinstallation, then it must be done from the HP Recovery Manager. Check the reinstall software and aplications section of the HP Recovery Manager. 

@NewEnvyOwner

Try the following softpaq. It is called the HP Phoenix Control utility.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71672.exe

BTW, the HP rep you talked to was wrong. The softpaq was found in the self service download web portal for the Phoenix Envy 850 by HP Expert @Dragon-Fur. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

LEDs do not use enough currentor or voltage to concern yourself with.

It is the reason that LED household lighting has become such a revolutionary product.

I will ask my internal HP contacts where the lighting control is. My last product loan was an Omen 15 and it had keyboard lighting control.

After reading the marketing information I can see why you ask about it.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply.  I was only venting about the LED electric usage.  This is not a feature I would pay extra for, but even after discussing it with the HP rep, it sounded like something I might use if I ever find time for some gaming. 

The HP rep stated that with the 850 series, the lights were static and could not be changed, but the 860 series could be customized.  I never thought to ask her how it worked, any more than asking how to turn on the PC.   It's more of a nuisance that I was expecting it, and now can't even turn the LED lighhts off.  Considering the $2k spent on this unit, how expensive can this feature be? 

Is there special software/driver required to be downloaded?   HP could integrate this feature with various tax software packages like TT.  Since I'm currently doing our taxes, the colors could change based on whether there's a refund or payment.  Thanks for any insight.      

HP Recommended

There is an application called HP Phoenix Lighting (or LED) Control which is used to control the LEDS.

I discovered it in an older thread while perusing the topic.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Missing-software-HP-Envy-Phoenix...

Check in the Control Panel or type it into the search box on the systray near the Windows symbol. There might even be an icon that represents the lighting control in the systray. My last HP product loan Omen 15 had an app called HP Omen Control, which allowed for control of groups of the keyboard backlighting. It allowed the owner to make custom color changes of the groups of keys. 

If it needs reinstallation, then it must be done from the HP Recovery Manager. Check the reinstall software and aplications section of the HP Recovery Manager. 

@NewEnvyOwner

Try the following softpaq. It is called the HP Phoenix Control utility.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71672.exe

BTW, the HP rep you talked to was wrong. The softpaq was found in the self service download web portal for the Phoenix Envy 850 by HP Expert @Dragon-Fur. 

HP Recommended

The process required to locate this feature is lengthy and should be better documented by HP.  Using Erico's suggestion from this thread, I clicked on this link http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp7167​2.exeAfter the file is downloaded, select RUN.   At least with Windows 10 Pro, the program does not show up as an App.  I spent hours searching numerous folders on my PC. After looking in Control Panel, I opened Programs and Features and discovered the program HPPhoenix.ctrl. This program does not show up using Windows Search.  I eventually located the program HPPhoenixctrl in the folder below:

c:/Program Files (x86)/Hewlett-Packard/HPPhoenixctrl/HPPhoenixctrl

I navigated to the location above, right-clicked and pressed Pin to Start and Pin to Task Bar.  After clicking on the icon from either location, the HP Phoenix Control menu is displayed.    

I honestly believe I would still be wasting valuable time trying to get this feature working if not for this forum and members like Erico.  I hope other users can benefit from this solution.  I also hope HP is paying attention in order to improve their product line.   Thank you Erico !!!

HP Recommended

@NewEnvyOwner

You're welcome! We are here for you!

🙂

HP Recommended

Thank  you guys for this tip. I am also a new HP 860 owner. The LED  solution works great.

@NewEnvyOwner wrote:

The process required to locate this feature is lengthy and should be better documented by HP.  Using Erico's suggestion from this thread, I clicked on this link http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp7167​2.exeAfter the file is downloaded, select RUN.   At least with Windows 10 Pro, the program does not show up as an App.  I spent hours searching numerous folders on my PC. After looking in Control Panel, I opened Programs and Features and discovered the program HPPhoenix.ctrl. This program does not show up using Windows Search.  I eventually located the program HPPhoenixctrl in the folder below:

c:/Program Files (x86)/Hewlett-Packard/HPPhoenixctrl/HPPhoenixctrl

HP Recommended

You're welcome...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.