Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Phoenix desktop 860-121, (Product number T4A30AA) with a GTX 970 in it.  I want to upgrade the graphics card but do not know what card would be compatiable with my pc.  The motherboard is a Thimphu Pegatron, if that helps.  Is a 980ti compatable, or should I look for something else?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@gggbills
Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand you want information on your ENVY Phoenix 860-121 graphics card upgrade
Here are the details of your graphics card and it's system requirements: Click here

It's compatible with your motherboard, however, it requires a PSU upgrade since it runs on 600W and higher but the desktop has a 500W Power Supply Unit (PSU).

Here are your product specifications based on your product number, for your information: Click here

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@gggbills
Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand you want information on your ENVY Phoenix 860-121 graphics card upgrade
Here are the details of your graphics card and it's system requirements: Click here

It's compatible with your motherboard, however, it requires a PSU upgrade since it runs on 600W and higher but the desktop has a 500W Power Supply Unit (PSU).

Here are your product specifications based on your product number, for your information: Click here

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just the  information I needed. Thank you so much for your help and your quick response!

HP Recommended

Sorry, one more question I'm really bad at this. Would a GTX 1070 or 1080 be compatible with my PC. I assume both cards are upgrades from my 970? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @gggbills,

Thanks for replying. I did a bit of research and found that the motherboard is PCIe 3.0 connection and can handle the communication speed of the GTX 1080 and 1070 card. From the Nvidia GTX 1080 specs, the actual power draw is 180W and the recommended power supply that we need to have based on Nvidia 1080 recommendation is 500W. Whereas from the Nvidia GTX 1070 specs the actual power draw is 150W and the recommended power supply that we need to have based on Nvidia 1070 recommendation is 500W. Both require less power. Look prior to buying of the length of the new card and check the slot.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you require any further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.