Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 550-279na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi 

I have an HP Pavilion 550-279na. Whilst it suits most of my needs, I do enjoy the occasional game and have found that the GPU that it came with, the Radeon R5 330 is not providing enough 'oomph'.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04949172

I have had a look around and think that the Nvidia GTX 750ti would probably fulfill my needs.

Do you think that this card would fit in my PC?

Also, I am guessing that the 180W PSU that it came with would not be sufficient to run a faster GPU, do you have any recommendations on size or model that would fit the Pavilion.

My apologies if these are very lay questions, my hardware knowledge is not up to scratch!

Thanks for any help.

Charlie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Your PC has the correct UEFI BIOS.

The GTX 750Ti requires a minimum 300 Watt Power supply.

You have to measure the space available along the existing graphics card and compare it to the 750's length. The 750 is 5.7 inches long. The 750 is a double slot card. Verify you have room and can pop a second rear I/O panel backplate to install the card.

It should fit unless it is really tight in your chassis with the existing card.

Same issue with the power supply. Verify you can install a 350 watt or 400 watt power supply.

I prefer Corsair or Seasonic modular power supplies.

Make sure you disable secure boot and enable legacy boot in BIOS.

Also uninstall all AMD graphics drivers and software before you install the GTX 750 card.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Additionally I noticed trolling through the boards that there used to be a bios issue that affected gtx 750 ti's on HP hardware, do you know if this has been resolved on newer models.

Thanks again for any help
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Your PC has the correct UEFI BIOS.

The GTX 750Ti requires a minimum 300 Watt Power supply.

You have to measure the space available along the existing graphics card and compare it to the 750's length. The 750 is 5.7 inches long. The 750 is a double slot card. Verify you have room and can pop a second rear I/O panel backplate to install the card.

It should fit unless it is really tight in your chassis with the existing card.

Same issue with the power supply. Verify you can install a 350 watt or 400 watt power supply.

I prefer Corsair or Seasonic modular power supplies.

Make sure you disable secure boot and enable legacy boot in BIOS.

Also uninstall all AMD graphics drivers and software before you install the GTX 750 card.

Cheers!

HP Recommended
Hi Jay

Thanks for the response and help.

I have bought the following PSU, which will fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020047-UK-Builder-Bronze-Supply/dp/B009RMP2VE

Maybe overkill but should do the job!

I have measured for the GTX 750 and it will fit, there is one capacitor on the mother board that may get in the way but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

A 500 watt PS will give you headroom for the future.

Enjoy your new graphics card.

Jay

HP Recommended

hi i am looking to upgrade too did everything work for you then??? thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.