Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Gary,

Good show!:smileyhappy:

Thanks for getting back to us.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@egkor wrote:

I just installed a Corsair GS700 power supply into my HP p6710f desktop, replacing the stock Bestec 250w P.S.

So far so good, runs nicely, quiet.

Next (later today) I will be installing a GeForce GTS 450 1GB PCI-X video card (the reason I installed the new power supply).

-Gary K

Hi egkor,

How did you fit the 6.3" depth for GS 700 inside the HP p6710f case???

The standard PS depth for this case should be 5.5"?? I am curious to know that

Best regards

HP Recommended

AOG,

My guess is that you can't get a piece of paper between the optical drive and the PSU.  I am just exaggerating some.

5.9" by 3.4" by 6.3".  The standard PSU is 5.9" by 3.4" by 5.5".  That probably makes it .8" longer.   The trick with the long PSUs is to slide the optical drive forward then install the PSU.  It makes it a lot easier.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I got the GeForce GTS 450 installed successfully w/ the GS 700 PS.  And video drivers/etc.  Using the system to post this.

The new PS is deeper than the original, but when installed there is still space between the back of the PS and the optical drive.

Edit:  I didn't have to move the optical drive, just out w/ the old PS and in w/ the new.

-Gary K

HP Recommended

Hey Gary,

Thanks for letting us know about your success with installing your 700 watt corsair power supply.

It looks like this brings the limit up to 700 watts that can be installled in an HP desktop and with this in mind I wish I had bought that model.

After having two failed attempts with the corsair tx750v2  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021 and then speaking to HP and them telling me 600 watts is the max I could install in an HP desktop I went ahead and got the budget model the corsair cx600. So far so good but I am definantly considering buying either your model or Big_Dave's model to have a little head room.

I am curious if this is truly a wattage compatibility  issue or if there is more to the difference between the GS700,cx600,hx650 compared to the tx750v2 model?, I am ignorant on power supplies and realy computer's in general to know the differences between them...all I know is I could not get the tx750v2 to work after trying two different brand new units.

HP Recommended

Hi Gary,

Good show again!:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Hi Tarpon,

Perhaps the newer and bigger PSUs are not providing a sensing voltage signal that is the same as the older power supplies.

HP Recommended

Well that is interesting.

So in this case you ignored the latch that lock on the 5.5" which used to mount the PS correctly without movement

good for you, and good luck on the new upgrade

HP Recommended

@AOG wrote:

Well that is interesting.

So in this case you ignored the latch that lock on the 5.5" which used to mount the PS correctly without movement

good for you, and good luck on the new upgrade

4 screws and the old PS came out.  The new one went in, 4 screws back in to hold it into place.  I didn't observe a latch, maybe I missed it.

I am actually surprised some of you are telling me I should have failed at this.  I guess since I didn't know that going in, I was able to get it done.  :generic:

-Gary K

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting the dimensions; not all mfg's tell us what they are.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.