Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-150
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

So I was searching the forums and figured I'd asked on here: so we got a new machine and the kids want to play games but the internal graphics won't allow for certian games. I want to install a graphics card but not sure if the motherboard (Bios) will allow it. It does have a PCI slot for one but don't want to buy and install have the fans spin but have the Bios lock it out.

I have PSU to upgrade the factory installed one. I plan on purchasing XFX Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3 PCIe 3.0x16 Video Card. Anyone think once I unstall the drivers for the factory graphics and install the new driver the Bios will lock it out? Thanks in advance.

Joseph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi _driver51,

I can't find the product specs for your model, are you sure it's 500-150? or it's 550-150.

I can suggest you only to focus on the PCIe speed, the BIOS is not an issue when changing the graphics card, but you need to make sure that your motherboard has the correct port for the graphics card. In this case, chetanrao_tech sugested the GeForce GTX645 which is PCIe 3.0x. You are looking for a Radeon R7 240 which is also PCIe 3.0x.

I was looking for your model and I found 2 options:

• The closest is the Pavilion 500-164, this one supports PCIe 2.0x. and the graphic cards mentioned before are *NOT* supported, be careful.
  • The other model close to yours is the Pavilion 550-150, this one has one PCIe 3.0x available. and both graphic cards mentioned before are fully supported.

Can you take a look to your model number again just to be sure that it was correct?

Kind Regards,
Josh

- I am an HP Employee
- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

To be honest it is really hard to install one. The new processors from Intel and AMD have integrate graphics built into the processor. The higher priced and gaming machine will come with discrete ATI or Nvidia cards. The new laptops if Intelgraphics is listed it's integrated.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**

I am an HP Employee

#HPExpertsday

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am sorry for the previous reply i thought it was a laptop however i have went though the specifications of this unit and found out that Nvidea GforceGTX645 is compatible with this PC. You can go ahead purchase this card.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**

I am an HP Employee

#HPExpertsday

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi _driver51,

I can't find the product specs for your model, are you sure it's 500-150? or it's 550-150.

I can suggest you only to focus on the PCIe speed, the BIOS is not an issue when changing the graphics card, but you need to make sure that your motherboard has the correct port for the graphics card. In this case, chetanrao_tech sugested the GeForce GTX645 which is PCIe 3.0x. You are looking for a Radeon R7 240 which is also PCIe 3.0x.

I was looking for your model and I found 2 options:

• The closest is the Pavilion 500-164, this one supports PCIe 2.0x. and the graphic cards mentioned before are *NOT* supported, be careful.
  • The other model close to yours is the Pavilion 550-150, this one has one PCIe 3.0x available. and both graphic cards mentioned before are fully supported.

Can you take a look to your model number again just to be sure that it was correct?

Kind Regards,
Josh

- I am an HP Employee
- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I accidently labeled the model wrong, sorry for the confusion. I truly appreciate the help though.

Joseph

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the help in the matter, Gonna see if I find it in stock after work. 

Joseph

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.